SS Milwaukee Clipper
Also known as: SS Clipper, SS Juniata2098 Lakeshore Drive, Muskegon, MI 49441
Built as the Juniata in 1904, Rebuilt as the SS Milwaukee Clipper in 1941
Closed in 2020 Because of Covid19
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2020
+43.22002, -86.2955243°13'12" N, 86°17'44" W
The Juniata was built in Cleveland in 1904 and cruised the Great Lakes from Buffalo to Duluth as a luxury liner. After safety standards were changed in 1937, the Juniata was retired. She was purchased and sent to Manitowoc Shipbuilding to be refitted. Rechristened the Milwaukee Clipper in 1941, she carried passengers and automobiles between Milwaukee and Muskegon until 1970 when service ended.
In 1977, the Milwaukee Clipper was towed to Chicago, renamed the Clipper, and tied up at Navy Pier to be a floating museum and event facility. In 1983, the Clipper was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1983, the Clipper was towed to Hammond, Indiana to be the centerpiece of a proposed museum. However, in 1996 the ship was displaced by a gambling vessel. In 1997 the Great Lakes CLIPPER Preservation Association was formed, dedicated to preserving the now legendary steamship. The new owners towed her to Muskegon where she was rechristened as the SS Milwaukee Clipper and became a museum.
- August 21, 2020: New photo from J.R. Manning
- August 18, 2020: New photo from J.R. Manning
- April 9, 2020: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com