John E. Hopley Monument
Magnificent structure to the memory of John E. Hopley
The Hopley Monument
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2020
+40.81196, -82.9554340°48'43" N, 82°57'20" W
John E. Hopley served as the first Ohio state consul to the Lincoln Highway for fourteen years. On July 10, 1927, Hioley passed away and his brother Frank, his many friends, and the Masonic and Elks lodges of Bucyrus erected this impressive monument in his memory. The stones in the marker were obtained from places connected with John's life. He served the State Department in Southampton, England and Montevideo, Uruguay, so stones came from those locations. Some stones came from his birthplace, Elkton, Kentucky. One stone was even from Lincoln's birthplace, appropriate for the highway named for the martyred president.
The monument is located on the north side of the original Lincoln Highway, on the grounds of the Golf Club of Bucyrus. (It is located across the highway from the Burger King restaurant.
The plaque reads:
"This monument, erected by lodge members and friends, is affectionately dedicated to the memory of John Edward Hopley 1850 - 1927 pioneer in Lincoln Highway development. First state consul for Ohio of the Lincoln Highway Association. In 1887 he founded the Bucyrus Evening Telegraph of which he was editor and manager for many years. United States Consul at Southampton, England, appointed by President William McKinley and promoted to consul of Montevideo , Uruguay, by President Theodore Roosevelt."
- July 11, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
- July 11, 2020: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com