4435 Lake Avenue, Charlotte, NY
Former residence now housing the local visitor's bureau and a coffee shop
Overview Looking Northwest
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2020
+43.25165, -77.6137243°15'06" N, 77°36'49" W
The house was constructed by Samuel Latta in 1806 in the old village of Charlotte. He was appointed Customs Colletctor for the port of Genesee by President Thomas Jefferson in 1805. Latta Road, adjacent to the house, was named for him. The house stayed in the family until 1872 when Latta's daughter sold it to Sanford and Sarah Meech.
It was purchased in 2012 by the Charlotte COmmunity Development Corporation that renovated it into the local visitor's center.
An interesting article about the house appears on the website of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle that includes a before/after with a modern photo superimposed over aphoto of the house from 1919.
- January 26, 2021: New photos from J.R. Manning
- January 26, 2021: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com