St. John's Episcopal Church

1145 Buffalo St.; Franklin, PA

Stone church dating from 1866

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian Manville on July 6, 2022

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The original church was built of brick in 1865 and demolished a year later for a stone structure. The rebuild came as a result of the oil boom and the influx of Civil War veterans and other settlers in the area.

The church was destroyed by fire on February 24, 1900 due to a candle left burning in the room housing the bellows of the pipe organ. At a cost of $39,000, the church was rebuilt and its first service was on Easter Sunday 1901.

The church is one of only a few churches that are home to a complete collection of Tiffany stained glass windows.

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2022: New photos from Brian Manville
  • July 7, 2022: New photos from Brian Manville
  • July 7, 2022: Added by Brian Manville

Sources 

  • Brian Manville