Farmington Canal/ New Haven & Northampton Canal

Abandoned
From New Haven to the state line at Suffield

A navigation canal running from the harbor at New Haven, CT to the Connecticut River at Northampton, MA

Photo 

Along The Canal

After Abandonment

Courtesy of the Marian Hunter History Room, Avon Free Public Library

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Completed in 1829, the Farmington Canal connected to the Hampshire and Hampden Canal of Massachusetts at the state line in West Suffield, CT when the H&H Canal was completed in 1835. The companies were reorganized as the New Haven and Northampton Canal Company in 1836, after both companies went bankrupt. In 1846 the NH&N was rechartered as a railroad, and the canal was abandoned after the 1847 boating season. From Cheshire in New Haven County, the canal passed through the towns of Southington, Plainville, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Granby, joining the H&H Canal of Massachusetts at the state line at West Suffield.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 12, 1985
Reference number
85002664
NR name
Farmington Canal-New Haven and Northampton Canal
Areas of significance
Commerce; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
District
Historic functions
Water-related; Road-related
Current functions
Park; Unoccupied land
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1829
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 37
Contributing sites: 27

Update Log 

  • August 17, 2022: New photo from Chester Gehman
  • August 17, 2022: Added by Chester Gehman

Related landmarks 

Sources