News en-us Eddystone Hotel Renovation To Continue Mon, 25 Jan 2021 00:00:00 PST Historic Detroit reported on its Facebook Page that work on the long empty Eddystone Hotel has begun and should be completed by this fall. <p> "The Ilitch organization's long-awaited redevelopment of the Hotel Eddystone is moving along. Its 92 apartments are slated to finish this fall. <p> "The 13-story hotel opened in 1924 and was designed by Louis Kamper. It was one of three sisters hotelier Lew Tuller had built in the early 1920s; the Royal Palms, which still stands, and the Park Avenue, which Olympia Development imploded for Little Caesears Arena, were the others. The Eddystone has been closed since the 1990s. It is on the National Register of Historic Places." <p> The quotation came from <a href="" target="_blank">Historic Detroit Facebook Page</a>. Fire at Harrison Brothers Mon, 11 Jan 2021 00:00:00 PST From the Facebook post of Harrison Brothers Hardware: <p> A fire broke out in the store this morning, and thanks to the quick action of the Huntsville Fire Department potential tragedy was averted. The store suffered little damage. <p> The store will be closed Monday as the professionals take over and clean the smoke and soot from the store. <p> Stay tuned for further details on our reopening. And PLEASE join us in thanking the men and women of the Huntsville Fire Department for their dedicated service. Tradgedy Hits Our Website Wed, 30 Dec 2020 00:00:00 PST We have lost our founder and webmaster. <p> James Baughn perished earlier this month when he fell from a bluff in Cape Gerardo County in Trail of Tears State Park. What was he doing? Doing what he loved to do, taking pictures. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">James Baughn: History and bridge lover, friend to many</a> <p> His obituary: <a href="" target="_blank">James Baughn, Wednesday, December 9, 2020</a> NRHP Landmark Destroyed by Arson Mon, 02 Nov 2020 00:00:00 PST An arson fire destroyed the Lee House, also known as the J&M Trading Post Annex, was destroyed on Halloween 2020 by arson file. <p> A fourteen year old is in custody. The fire destroyed the historic structure and severely damaged a neighboring house. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Teen charged with arson after 2 homes burn on Leesville Road</a> by the Bucyrus Telegraph. Buchanan, Michigan Named "Nicest Place in America" for 2020 Mon, 12 Oct 2020 00:00:00 PST Readers' Digest has named Buchanan, Berrien County, Michigan as the "Nicest Place in America" for 2020. A feature will appear in the November issue that should be out on October 20. <p> An article published by <a href=" " target="_blank"></a> tells the story of how Buchanan came to be nominated and chosen. <p> Readers' Digest began the search for the annual "Nicest Place" designation in 2017. Previous selections were Gallatin, Tennessee and Columbiana, Ohio. Uplifting stories are submitted to Readers' Digest for each nominee and a committee chooses from the thousands of submissions. FOUND! The Wreck of the Pere Marquette 18 Wed, 09 Sep 2020 00:00:00 PST The Pere Marquette 18, a Pere Marquette Railroad car ferry in service hauling railroad cars between Ludington, Michigan and ports in Wisconsin, sank off the coast of Sheboygan 110 years ago, September 9, 1910. The sinking of the PM18 has been a mystery ever since. Witnesses said she suddenly went vertical, the stern went under with the bow in the air and just that fast, she was gone. At least 28 souls perished in the sinking, including two crew members of the Pere Marquette 17 that came to the aid of the PM 18. As a result of this sinking, car ferries were equipped with a sea wall to prevent lake water from capsizing the ferries at sea. <p> The location of the wreck was unknown until the summer of 2020 when she was found by two shipwreck hunters from Minnesota, Jerry Eliason and Ken Merryman. A fascinating article from Minnesota Public Radio describes the wreck according to contemporary reports and describes how the PM18 was located. <p> Only one of the fleet of 20th Century Lake Michigan car ferries is still in operation, the SS <em>Badger</em> out of Ludington, although it no longer carries railroad cars. <p> The wreck of the Pere Marquette 18 will undoubtedly soon be added to the National Register of Historic Places. <p> Reference: <a href="" target="_Blank">Minnesota shipwreck hunters locate long-sought Lake Michigan wreck</a> by Andrew Krueger, Minnesota Public Radio. Toledo Harbor Lighthouse to Undergo Restoration Mon, 27 Jul 2020 00:00:00 PST The Toledo Harbor Lighthouse Preservation Society (THLPS) an all volunteer group, is investing $2.6 million into the restoration of the Toledo Harbor Lighthouse. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 4, 1983 under reference number 83002005. <p> According to the Toledo Business Journal, the group, an IRS 501(c)3 not for profit organization would like to restore the three story, Romanesque lighthouse to its original appearance. The lighthouse is not easily accessible. It is located 8.4 miles from the mouth of the Maumee River and marks the entrance to Toledo Harbor. It was built in 1901 by the Army Corps of Engineers on an artificial island, created by sinking a large crib, filling it with stone and topping it with concrete. <p> The crib was designed and construction supervised by the noted military engineer, Orlando Metcalfe Poe. He is most noted for his design and construction of the first Poe Lock at <a href="">Sault St. Marie</a> in 1896 and was the largest lock in the world at the time. It has since been extended to 1,200 feet and is the only lock at the Soo capable of handling the large freighters that pass through it. Poe was responsible for the building of several Great Lakes lighthouses. <p> According to THLPS when the restoration is complete, docents will offer tours in season. Another FLW House is On The Market Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:00:00 PST The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is reporting in the foundation newsletter, The Whirling Arrow, that you have another chance to own a FLW design home. The 1941 Charles and Dorothy Manson House, located in Wausau, Wisconsin, is on the market. It was added to the NRHP in 2016. The property is listed for $425,000.00. <p> The Usonian design house has many FLW features, including red brick and red cyprus board and batten design that also carries into the house. Follow the link for more about the house and enjoy the photo essay that is a part of the article. There is also a link to the listing real estate agency. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">The Whirling Arrow</a>. Orpheum Theater Organ Restoration Near Completion Wed, 17 Jun 2020 00:00:00 PST JL Weiler, Inc. (Chicago) is reporting on Facebook that the restoration of the Orpheum Theater 1928 Wulritzer theater organ is nearing completion. According to their post, the original chambers have been reduced in size, increasing the sound quality of the organ. There is some final settings that need to be adjusted and the restoration will be completed. <p> <img src="" border="0" alt=" photo console_zpsjggng7hc.jpg" width="400" height="300"></a><br> <font size="-1">Wurlitzer Organ Console, Orpheum Theater, Memphis.<br><em>Photo by JL Weiler, Inc.</em></font> <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Organ Restoration Nearing Completion</a> Your Chance to Own a FLW House Tue, 26 May 2020 00:00:00 PST A 1951 Frank Lloyd Wright designed house known as the Frieda and Henry J. Neils House, has been on the Twin Cities real estate market since 2018. First listed for $3,400,000, it has seen a few price drops and is now a mere $2.75 million. <p> <a href="" target="_blank"><img src="" border="0" alt=" photo Neils House_zps1rqwp6pw.jpg" style=""></a> <p> The home was built for Henry J. Neils, a material supplier who worked closely with Wright during construction. It features many Usonian features, including Wright's signature Cherokee Red flooring, but uses aluminum framed windows, manufactured by Neils' company, instead of Wright's usual wood framing. Neils also had access to marble left over from another job and convinced FLW to use marble blocks to build a wall. FLW did not care for the appearance and the blocks were later stained. <p> Wisconsin Has Lost A Treasure Wed, 01 Apr 2020 00:00:00 PST The Wisconsin State Journal has reported the death of Tom Every, an eccentric artist better known as Dr, Evermore. His famous art garden was created out of his imagination and years of raw material collected in his indusrial scrapping business. The center of the art garden is The Forevertron, surrounded by fantastic creatures and birds created from musical instruments. <p> The Forevertron has been called "the largest scrap sculpture in the world." Once mesmerized by the Forevertron, one could spend hours studying the massive sculpture. What is all that stuff and where did it all come from? <p> Most of it came from the fertile imagination of Tom Every, who before he became Dr. Evermor, was a successful scrap dealer who specialized in industrial scrapping. It seemed to him that crushing items of wonderful design just wasn't right and he began collecting such items for a future use of some kind. The Forevertron is the outgrowth of that collection. It is comprised of parts from power plants, breweries, steel mills, factories, a NASA decontamination tank, there's even a full body fluoroscope in there someplace. An intergalactic egg, surrounded by giant thrusters, is ready to launch Dr. Evermor into the cosmos. <p> According to the article, the future of his art garden is uncerain. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Dr. Evermor, a metal artist, character and Wisconsin gem, dies at the age of 81</a> George Watts & Son Building Could Gain Historic Designation Fri, 06 Mar 2020 00:00:00 PST The Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal is reporting that the building that once housed George Watts & Sons and the George Watts Tea Room is being considered for historic designation by the City of Milwaukee. The designation could impact future development and modifications. <p> According to the article, six buildings constructed between 1850 and 1925 on the block could receive historic designation. The block was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 as part of a district but not with individual NRHP listings nor local historic designation. <p> The NRHP listings do not guarantee protection against extensive modifications or even demolition, but local designations might offer such protection. Any such plans would need the approval of the Historic Preservation Commission if the buildings are given the local designation. The designations must be approved by the commission and the Common Council. A public hearing has been set for April 6, 2020. The proposal was introduced by Alderman Robert Bauman. <p> <img src="" width="400" height="300"></a><br> <font size="-1">Matthew Keenan Residence.<br><em>Noted Milwaukee architect, Edward Townsend Mix, designed the Italianate residence<br>for the vice president of Northwestern Mutual Life.<br>Landmarkhunter photo by J.R. Manning.</em></font> <p> The six buildings under consideration include the building built by George Watts in 1925, two commercial buildings and homes, one an Edward Townsend Mix designed residence built by the vice-president of Northwestern Mutual Life. (The Watts businesses closed December 31, 2016 and the building was sold about a year ago.) <p> Link: <a href=" " target="_blank">Downtown Block Could Be Named Historic</a>, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 4, 2020 53 Years Ago Today Thu, 05 Mar 2020 00:00:00 PST Historic Detroit posted on Facebook today that the Michigan Theater, at 238 Bagley Avenue, began its march into history on this date fifty-three years ago by showing its last movie. The entry reads, "On this date 53 years ago, the final movie was shown at the Michigan Theatre in Detroit. It would become a concert venue called The Palace before having its seats ripped out and being turned into a parking garage." <p> <img src="" width="300" height="400"></a><br> <font size="-1">Michigan Building Parking Structure.<br><em>Photo by Dan Austin, Historic Detroit.</em></font> <p> You read that correctly. The movie palace, the only theater in Michigan designed by Rapp & Rapp, once was a 4,000 seat display of opulence and grandeur. (The rare, five-manual, Wurlitzer theater organ was sold to <a href="" target="_blank">Fred Hermes of Racine, Wisconsin</a> in 1956 where he installed it in his home.) <p> After being used (unsuccessfully) as a dinner and a movie theater, it became a rock 'n' roll venue where vandals sealed its fate. A three-story parking garage was built inside the old theater, the ceiling still showing its days as one of Detroit's most opulent theaters. <p> Historic Detroit also points out that the site once was the location of Henry Ford's home. The home included a small building where he built his first car, the Quadracycle, in 1896. (Mr. Ford later moved the building to his Dearborn museum.) Only in Detroit could the site of the first Ford automobile be turned into an automobile parking lot. <p> (For more about the Michigan Theater, see Dan Austin's feature article <a href="" target="_blank">Michigan Theater</a> and photos of the beautiful theater <a href="" target="_blank">Michigan Theater Old Photos</a> on the website of Historic Detroit.) Moor Mud Baths Receive a Reprieve Wed, 12 Feb 2020 00:00:00 PST The Waukesha Preservation Alliance is reporting that the City of Waukesha Common Council voted to deny a Waukesha County request to demolish the old Moor Baths resort/hotel, also known as the Grand View Hotel. The county has used the old hotel as office space but found the annual upkeep expense to be excessive. Requests to demolish the structure and sell the land, including a golf course, to developers have been proposed for several years. <p> The Moor Mud Baths harken back to the days when Waukesha was known as "The Saratoga of the West" for its mineral springs. Several mineral bath spas and the mud baths sprang up in the early 20th Century. The Moor Baths/Grandview Hotel resort/hotel operated until 1961. It was used as a college until 1971 when the county moved in. <p> Reports say demolition would cost $3.3 million while preservationists say the property could be adapted for reuse and save the money. For now, the facility will stand. Retired Rail Execs Pledge Matching Funds Toward Restoration Sun, 10 Nov 2019 00:00:00 PST Two retired rail executives have pleged matching funds, up to $300,000, toward the restoration of Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway Steam Locomotive No. 576. The locomotive was donated to the City of Nashville in 1953 and put on display in Centennial Park until January 2019. The Nashville Steam Preservation Society leased the locomotive from Metro Nashville and raised funds to move the locomotive to the Tennessee Central Railway Museum where the restoration is underway. <p> Retired railroad executives and rail history supporters, Richard Tower and Wick Moorman, have partnered in offering the matching funds. The matches will be made for contributions of $1,000.00 or more between now and December 31, 2020. <p> In a prepared statement, Nashville Steam Preservation Society President Shane Meador said, “If we can raise the funds to maximize the matching potential, then we will be well over halfway to our goal, and the restoration timeline can remain on track.” <p> Richard Tower had a career in railroad operations with Amtrak, Southern Pacific Transportation Company and the engineering firm Wilbur Smith Associates spanned from Washington, D.C. to Detroit, Chicago, and San Francisco. His family’s San Francisco-based charitable foundation, The Candelaria Fund, has played a significant role in bringing numerous historic locomotives back to live rails. Tower, with his wife Caroline, administers the fund. Tower is no stranger to historic railroading, he spent four years as the vice president and treasurer of the <a href="" target="_blank">Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad Company</a>. <p> Charles W. “Wick” Moorman is the former president and CEO of Amtrak, and earlier served as chairman, president and CEO of Norfolk Southern Railway. <p> To date, the non-profit Nashville Steam Preservation Society (NSPS) has raised approximately $1 million toward the total project cost. The restoration is well underway at the Tennessee Central Railway Museum, located just east of downtown Nashville. <p> To learn more about Nashville’s legendary No. 576 and to donate, visit the <a href="" target="_blank">Nashville Steam Preservation Society</a> website. State Savings Bank Building Rescued and Restored Thu, 17 Oct 2019 00:00:00 PST Curbed Detroit is reporting the State Savings Bank Building has been restored and is now available for rent as an event venue. The building was in bad shape and appeared to be headed for demolition when it was purchased in 2014. The building has been restored and is now open. (The Beaux Arts structure was placed on the NRHP in 1982.) <p> The 72,000 square foot building covers most of a city block and opened in 1900. It was designed by the New York firm of McKim, Mead & White and is likely the only building in Detroit designed by the firm. The structure was purchased in 2014 for $3.25 million by a real estate investment firm lead by Dan Gilbert. <p> For more about the restoration, including a photo essay, see <a href="" target="_blank">A look inside the recently redeveloped State Savings Bank</a> from Curbed Detroit. <p> An art display entitled “Mirage Detroit,” is on display in the bank building and will be open for at least four months. It is the creation of artist Doug Aitken and lighting designer Andi Watson. A description with photographs can be found at <a href="" target="_blank">Mirage Detroit</a>, published by Curbed Detroit. Orchestra Hall Celebrates 100th Anniversary Sat, 05 Oct 2019 16:49:00 PST A delightful article in Curbed Detroit celebrates Orchestra Hall's 100th anniversary. Like many valued landmarks, it was once in danger of being demolished but efforts to save the classic venue resulted in a magnificent restoration. Orchestra Hall is revered as one of the world's greatest orchestral venues due to its remarkable acoustic qualities. <p> <img src="" width="600" height="300"></a><br> <p> You can read the article here: <a href="" target="_blank">Orchestra Hall turns 100</a>. Historic Detroit Building to be Demolished for a Parking Lot Thu, 03 Oct 2019 00:00:00 PST Curbed Detroit and other sources are reporting that a historical building is facing demolition to provide 12 parking spaces for a luxury condominium project. The Detroit Saturday Night Building (550 W. Fort Street) failed to receive historic status with the Detroit City Council on October 1, 2019. <p> <img src="" width="400" height="300"></a><br> <font size="-1">Detroit Saturday Night Building.<br><em>Photo by Mark Hall.</em></font> <p> The building was constructed in 1914 to house the offices of the Detroit Saturday Night newspaper. (The paper was published from 1907 to 1939.) The building was designed by the Detroit firm of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls (today the Smith Group.) The red brick building features several glazed terra cotta and stone decorative elements. <p> Preservationists are fighting the decision but the fate of the building appears to be sealed. <p> Sources:<br> <a href="" target="_blank">Detroit Saturday Night Building to soon be demolished</a> (Curbed Detroit newsletter.)<br> <a href="" target="_blank">A closer look at the Detroit Saturday Night Building</a><br> <p> <strong>UPDATE:</strong> Looks like curtains for the building, according to this report from <a href="" target="_blank">WXYZ News</a> in Detroit. Kohler Foundation to Restore Itasca Rock Garden Sat, 21 Sep 2019 00:00:00 PST The Freeborn County(Minnesota) Historical Society has announced that the Kohler Foundation has purchased and will restore the Itasca Rock Garden in Albert Lea, Minnesota. Although not on the NRHP at this time, the rock garden has a long history and is a revered asset of Albert Lea. The society says that the Kohler Foundation will gift the property to the Freeborn Historical Society sometime after the restoration is completed. <p> Also known as the Christiansen Rock Garden, construction was begun in 1925 by John Christiansen. He and his wife collected rocks for the garden when they travelled. <p> According to the Minnesota Museum of the Mississippi, the rock garden has sometimes been referred to as a "grotto" but there is no religious connotation to the collection. (Similar sites in the midwest have the term grotto in the name. Most are religious in nature, such as the <a href="" target="_blank">Dickeyville Grotto</a>.) The museum also reports that the extensive garden was comprised of lily ponds, bridges, miniatures, walls and numerous structures. <p> The last structure was added in 1938, John passed away in 1939. His wife continued to keep the garden open after his death, subsequent owners also kept it open to the public at least until 1952, when it was sold again. <p> Sources: Facebook: <a href="" target="_blank">Itasca Rock Garden</a><br> Facebook: <a href="[0]=68.ARC-6laQ_kSFkiPX-mxYDiv8z9OVWJ0iRKN12uHC0PoMta6PRPuVjXJFjSEdHC0wa2KHyNDywRfjbcoiwcgARPUzDzVKUmAXDU_BwSUtBUGgkbdLjejq4MfZMo96Lx5GVJFdtANeGsezaXI0NL8koXwxWHlEq6liKyZTJOGKFtRbf9t3or8NhyZ0svuLNWM-fRutBH7WMmpoHLzgoT-eIlPH0VehZq_qzOOVDvqKIH8znndThBZSP_uSWnu32z4R1sauytCoSoH4ZIVBgsDjyJyg8m1FCylEVXfMwiVW0aem8Bvt3TJXy3jUCrXVA1e15ie9mfSD5Fmwuzmgdo6X3Wo&__tn__=CH-R">Save the Itasca Rock Garden</a><br> Minnesota Museum of the Mississippi: <a href="" target="_blank">Christensen Rock Garden</a> <p> Funding Secured for Kaukauna's Veterans Memorial Bridge Wed, 11 Sep 2019 00:00:00 PST The Fox River Navigation System Authority (FRNSA) in a press release is reporting that funds to repair the Kaukauna Veterans Memorial Bridge to operational status have been secured. The U.S. Coast Guard notified the City of Kaukauna that the bridge, over the Fox River Navigation Channel, must be operational by May 1, 2021. <p> <img src="" width="400" height="300"></a><br> <font size="-1">Clearance is limited without lifting the bridge.<br><em>Photo by J.R. Manning for Bridge and Landmark Hunter sites.</em></font> <p> Because everything else about the bridge, except the lift mechanism is in good shape, there are no federal dollars available for the repairs. Funds were included in the current State of Wisconsin budget but were struck from the budget by Governor Tony Evers, using the governor's line item veto. In his budget memo, Governor Evers stated, "I am vetoing these sections as I object to the placement of the project in the budget, particularly given the lack of additional funding provided to ensure that this earmark does not result in a delay for other needed repairs." <em>(Source: <a href="" target="_blank">Veto Message, Office of Tony Evers</a>, page 64.)</em> <p> The Fox River Navigation System Authority (FRNSA) says that it worked with city officials and funding was secured through a "newly formed $75 million Multimodal Local Supplement grant program." <p> The lock system in the Lower Fox River was originally built in the 19th century to allow river traffic from Lake Winnebago to the Green Bay and Lake Michigan. (The Upper Fox River was also part of the locks system that allowed river traffic from the Wisconsin River in Portage, Wisconsin to Lake Winnebago. All but one of those locks are now closed and the canal to the Wisconsin River is sealed. The system allowed water traffic between the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico.) <p> 16 of the 17 locks of the Lower Fox River were restored between 2005-2015 with an investment of $14.5 million and is operated by FRNSA. It is one of the only fully restored, hand-operated lock systems in the United States. Currently, the <a href="" target="_blank">Menasha Lock</a>, at the upper end of the lower Fox River, is closed to prevent the invasive Round Goby from getting into Lake Winnebago Ecosystem and the Upper Fox River. <em>(See </em><a href="" target="_blank">Menasha Lock Closed, Invasive Species Found in Fox River</a><em> in the Landmark Hunter news feed.)</em> The lock at <a href="" target="_blank">Rapide Croche</a> ("Eighth Rapids") was sealed in 1988 to prevent invasive species from entering the Fox River and Lake Winnebago ecosystems. <p> The Lower Fox drops 180 feet between the head of the river in Lake Winnebago and the mouth at Green Bay. The rapids attracted millers and paper makers to the Fox River Valley in mid 19th Century. Eventually, the Lower Fox River was dammed to take advantage of the potential energy. <p> After the <a href="" target="_blank">Portage Canal</a> was opened to connect the upper Fox River to the Wisconsin River, it was possible to go from the Green Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. A Peek Inside "Old Main" Before Restoration Begins Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:00:00 PST One of the last bills that President Abraham Lincoln signed into law was an act creating three "Old Soldiers Homes" to take care of disabled Civil War veterans. It was the beginning of the VA, and one of those three was the Northwestern Branch built in Wood, Wisconsin, just outside Milwaukee. <p> Old Main, a favorite landmark in the Milwaukee area, opened in 1869 and today, is in deplorable shape. Fundraising to save Old Main continues, with plans to convert the grand dame into 80 units of housing. <p> Milwaukee Independent published a virtual reality 360º walk through of Old Main along with an array of still photos, posted by Lee Matz. Follow the link to see the pre-restoration conditions of this once magnificent structure. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">360º Inside Old Main</a> by Chicago's Patio Theater May Be Returned to Former Glory Thu, 22 Aug 2019 00:00:00 PST A new owner has purchased the Patio Theater in the Chicago neighborhood of Portage Park, located on Irving Park Road. The auditorium is an Atmospheric theater with twinkling stars and drifting clouds on the simulated night sky. According to the theater's website, the capacity is 1,496 seats. <p> The Patio opened on January 29, 1927 when silent films were still standard fare. A 3 manual, 10 rank Barton Theater Organ was installed to accompany the films. The organ is still there, according to sources, it is the last Barton theater organ still in its original installation. <p> The single screen theater was built in a neighborhood and never suffered the multi-plexing that happened to so many old theaters, and it was never demolished as also happened to so many old theaters. The survivor closed in 2001, had some restoration performed on it in 2019 to reopen in 2011. It closed again and reopened in 2016. The new owner is showing films and some live performances. <p> Chris Bauman, the new owner, plans to refurbish the old gem and reopen it - again. The marquee has been struck several times by passing trucks and one of Bauman's first tasks will be to resolve the marquee's issues. <p> The Patio Theater is not on the NRHP but it is certainly eligible. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">Block Club Chicago</a> article about the Patio. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">Cinema Treasures</a> article about the Patio. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">Patio Theater</a> website. Eight Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings Added to the UNESCO World Heritage List Sun, 07 Jul 2019 00:00:00 PST The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and news sources are reporting that eight Frank Lloyd Wright buildings across the United States have been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. There are nearly 1,100 World Heritage sites, only 24 of which are in the United States. <p> Arguably one of America's greatest and most influential architects, FLW created over 1,000 designs. 449 of them were actually constructed. Of those 449 realized Wright-designed structures, there are 380 extant structures but 67 have been demolished. <em>Architectural Record</em> --- selected twelve FLW buildings for its list of 100 most important buildings of the 20th Century, four of which are on the list of buildings added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. <p> The properties added to the list are on the National Register of Historic Places and are listed here. The list includes <a href="" target="_blank">Unity Temple</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Frederick C. Robbie House</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Taliesin</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Hollyhock House (Aline Barnsdall Complex)</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Fallingwater</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Herbert and Katherine Jacobs House</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Taliesin West</a>, <a href="" target="_blank">Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum</a>. <p> Links: <a href="" target="_blank">FLW Foundation</a><br> <a href="" target="_blank">Dwell</a><br> <a href="" target="_blank">Architect Magazine</a> Ford May Rethink Renovation Plans Fri, 24 May 2019 00:00:00 PST <a href="" TARGET="_BLANK">Ford Authority</a> is reporting that Ford Motor Company is rethinking the plan to renovate <a href="" TARGET="_BLANK">Detroit's Michigan Central Station</a>. The original plan was to convert the upper floors to apartments but the plan may change to make those floors into a boutique hotel. A decision on the potential change should come at the end of the month. <p> Ford is spending tons of money on the restoration of the abandoned property and has invited other automakers to join them in using the revamped facility. (Ford is planning on bringing in 5,000 workers for autonomous and EV development. The station will be the anchor of a 1.2 million square foot campus.) <p> The hotel will occupy the twelfth and thirteenth floors, although due to superstition, the top floor will not be so named. A Ford spokesman said the floors lend themselves to hospitality and conferencing more so than residential space. <p> Scaffolding will soon surround the structure as repair of the exterior begins. 227,000 gallons of water has been drained from the building along with removal of 3,000 carloads of debris. The project is slated for completion in 2022. Ford received $239 million in local, state and federal incentives to build the campus. Here's Your Chance to Own a FLW House Wed, 08 May 2019 00:00:00 PST The <a href="" target="_blank">Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation</a> is reporting that the T.A. Pappas House in Town and Country, Missouri is for sale. The Usonian House was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1955. One of only two Wright-designed homes in St. Louis, the sale price of $1.2 million includes all the furniture FLW designed for the house. <p> <img src="" width="400" height="300"></a><br> <font size="-1">Theodore A. Pappas House in 2017.<br><em>Photo by LittleT889 for Wikipedia, used by CC BY-SA 4.0</em></font> <p> FLW passed on before construction began but the family wished to expand the original floor plan. The expansion was handled by architects at Taliesin Associated Architects who saw the project through to completion. Ford's Highland Park Factory For Sale Wed, 17 Apr 2019 00:00:00 PST Curbed Detroit is reporting that the former Ford Motor Company Highland Park plant is for sale. <p> The historic plant was designed by famous and prolific industrial architect, Albert Kahn. The site was home of the Model T Ford and was the location of Henry Ford's famous assembly line. The plant was also the location of Henry Ford's announcement of the Five Dollar Day that revolutionized the automobile industry and attracted a migration of workers to Detroit from around the country. The Highland Park plant opened in 1910 and was the standard for industrial plant design for many years. <p> Curbed Detroit tells us the four story, 54,000 square foot plant is currently owned by the Woodward Avenue Action Association that bought the plant in order to preserve it. The listed price is not revealed but the Woodward Action Association bought the facility in 2013 for $550,000.00. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Administration building at Ford’s Model T plant in Highland Park is for sale</a>. <p> Detroit Masonic Temple in line for $2 Million Upgrade Thu, 07 Mar 2019 00:00:00 PST Crain's Detroit Business and other news sources are reporting that the massive Masonic Temple is getting an upgrade with a new operating agreement with AEG Presents. <p> AEG Presents will operate the 4,400 seat Masonic Temple Theater and 1,586 seat Cathedral Theater. AEG Presents will also book acts for the theaters. AEG will provide $2 million for renovations and restoration, including upgrading sound and lighting. <p> Groundbreaking for the temple, the largest Masonic Temple in the world, was on Thanksgiving Day, 1920 and the building was mostly completed by 1926. The design called for three theaters (only two were completed) a Shrine building, a chapel, eight lodge rooms, two ballrooms, offices, a cafeteria and dining rooms, 16 bowling lanes, a barber shop and a powerhouse that provided electricity for the building. Construction was halted during the Great Depression and the top three floors are still empty. The temple has 1,037 rooms and more than half a million square feet. <p> AEG Presents is a division of AEG Live of Los Angeles, promoting live entertainment. In the agreement, AEG Presents will exclusively book entertainment for and manage the facilities. Grand Chandeliers from Chicago's Uptown Theater May Be Returning Thu, 07 Feb 2019 00:00:00 PST WTTW in Chicago is reporting that the Rapp & Rapp designed Uptown Theater will be undergoing a $75 Million restoration. (See the original article here: <a href="" target="_blank">WTTW Uptown Theater</a>.) The fabulous chandeliers that were a part of the opulent decor of the magnificent movie palace have been stored offsite for more than 20 years. <p> <iframe width="512" height="332" src="" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" seamless allowfullscreen></iframe> <p> When the Uptown opened in 1925, it was the 12th largest movie palace in the United States. It was built by the Balaban & Katz Corporation, owners of a chain of theaters in Chicago. The Uptown was a fabulous theater, built north of Chicago in the Uptown neighborhood, even more fabulous than any theater in The Loop. <p> By the 1980s, like many urban theaters, the Uptown fell on hard times. The last performance there was by the J. Geils Band on December 19, 1981 and it closed that night. Although designated a Chicago landmark in 1991, disuse led to water damage and vandalism. Vandals had stolen many of the grand artifacts from the grand old theater. <p> A mechanical engineer, named Curt Mangel volunteered to aid in maintenance of the theater. Mangel also did work for the Sanfilippo Estate in Barrington Hills. Jasper Sanfilippo is a noted collector of mechanical musical devices, theater organs and artifacts saved from movie palaces. Mangel asked if Mr. Sanfilippo could store the fabulous chandeliers that were still in the Uptown but in grave danger. While at the estate, the chandeliers underwent cleaning and restoration. <p> The chandeliers were built by the Pearlman & Company. The largest is about 14' tall and currently is on display in the Pace de la Musique at the Sanfilippo Estate. Other Uptown chandeliers are also on display there. <p> Mr. Sanfilippo began reproducing the chandeliers and agreed to return the originals to the Uptown if it was ever restored. In June 2018, plans were announced for a a $75 million restoration of the theater, scheduled to begin in August 2019 for completion in 2021. <p> <a href="" target="_blank">The Sanfilippo Foundation</a> is private, however, it is sometimes open to the public for tours and concerts. (Click on the name for information.) <p> For more on the Uptown Theater, see <a href="" target="_blank">Cinema Treasures</a> or WTTW's <a href="" target="_blank">"Taking a Look at Uptown 40 Years Ago"</a> or the Compass Rose Cultural Crossroads website article titled <a href="" target="_blank">A History of the Uptown Theatre</a>. <p> <em>Elements of this article came from numerous sources.</em> Historic train turntable will turn NC&StL locomotive No. 576 Sun, 27 Jan 2019 00:00:00 PST Locomotive 576, formerly located in Centennial Park in Nashville, was removed for restoration to operational status. It will operate in excursion service in Central Tennessee. A turntable was recently moved from Atlanta to Watertown, Tennessee so the locomotive can be turned around. <p> <a href="" target="_blank"><img src="" height="320" width="428" border="0" alt="NC&StL 576 in Centennial Park before it was moved"></a><br> <em>NC&StL in Centennial Park 576 before it was moved<br> (Click on photo to see larger image)</em>.<br> <p> News Channel 5 in Nashville reports that Historic Watertown is thrilled to find the turntable. The group says it may take four years to make the turntable operational, as well as build a depot and museum. <p> No. 576 has been located in Centennial Park since 1953. Trains Magazine reported that due to successful fundraising efforts, 576 (also known as "The Stripe") would be removed from the park and restored to operating condition. It was moved on January 13, 2019 to the Tennessee Central Railway Museum for restoration. <p> Links:<br>NewsChannle 5 Video Report: <a href="" target="_blank">Historic train turntable will spin locomotive No. 576 in Watertown</a>.<br> Trains Magazine: <a href="" target="_blank">Trains Magazine report describing the future of No. 576</a>.<br> Nashville Steam Preservation Society: <a href="" target="_blank">Nashville Steam Preservation Society</a>. Hey, Buddy! Wanna Buy the Chysler Building? Thu, 10 Jan 2019 00:00:00 PST Forbes Magazine and other sources (links below) are reporting the iconic Chrysler Building is up for sale. The Abu Dhabi Investment Council is putting up their 90% share of ownership. The asking price is unknown. The New York <em>Times</em> reports that the council paid $800 million for their 90% stake in 2008. Will it bring a profit? No one is sure. <p> The building does not own the land beneath it and rental costs of land <p> in Manhattan have escalated. The land the building stands on is owned by the Cooper Union school. Land rent was $7.75 million in 2017, but jumped to $32.5 million in 2018. It will rise to $41 million in 2028. Maintenance costs can be high on a 1930 building and it faces much competition from surrounding office buildings with more modern amenities. <p> The Chrysler Building was the headquarters of Chrysler Corporation until 1953 but was never owned by the corporation. It was built and owned by Walter P. Chrysler. At the time of its opening, it was the tallest building in the world. It was passed by the Empire State Building just eleven months later and is now the 8th tallest building in NYC. <p> Links:<br><a href="" target="_blank">Forbes Magazine: NYC's Illustrious Chrysler Building For Sale</a>.<br><a href="" target="_blank">New York Times: Chrysler Building, a Famed Slice of Manhattan Skyline, Is on the Block Lincoln Highway Bridge Fund Exceeds Goal Sat, 05 Jan 2019 00:00:00 PST The Toledo <em>Chronicle</em> and Tama <em>News-Herald</em> reported on January 5, 2019 that the Lincoln Savings Bank donated $3,000 to the City of Tama toward the fund drive to restore the Tama Lincoln Highway Bridge. The fund is now over the $12,000 goal for local contributions to the restoration fund. Grants and funding from the city will pay for the engineering and restoration of the bridge. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Lincoln Highway Bridge restoration fund tops goal</a>. Egyptian Theater (DeKalb) About to Undergo $4.5 Million Renovation Thu, 03 Jan 2019 00:00:00 PST The DeKalb (Illinois) <em>Daily Chronicle</em> is reporting that the 90 year old Egyptian Theater is moving ahead with plans for a $4.5 Million renovation. Plans call for air conditioning and expansion of rest room facilities. (Links below.) <p> The air conditioning is to help preserve the historic structure and encourage more use of the theater year round. The proposed units are high efficiency but are comparable in size to a school bus. The installation will be on the roof to preserve the historic appearance of the façade but will also require some changes to the roof structure to accommodate the weight. <p> The city will put up $2.5 Million with the rest of the funds provided by donations. The theater says it serves 40,000 patrons annually that has a $2 million impact on the local economy each year. The upgrade should spark a 35% growth in attendance and economic impact. <p> The theater opened on December 10, 1929 as a combination movie and Vaudeville theater. It continued as a dual purpose theater although it reverted to mostly a movie house by the 1970s. It fell into disrepair and disuse, and was closed in 1977. The owners turned the theater over to the City of DeKalb at that time. The theater was on the verge of condemnation when a group of citizens worked to restore the Egyptian. It was added to the NRHP in 1978 and a $2.5 million renovation began in 1979. The theater reopened in 1983. <p> <em>Links:</em><br> Daily Chronicle website: <a href="" target="_blank">Egyptian Theatre set to undergo $4.5 milllion renovation project</a>.<br> Cinema Treasures: <a href="" target="_blank">Egyptian Theater, DeKalb.</a><br> "History" on the Egyptian Theater Website: <a href="" target="_blank">The Historic Egyptian Theater.</a> San Francisco Says: Rebuild It Exactly The Way It Was Mon, 17 Dec 2018 00:00:00 PST A developer in San Francisco has been ordered to rebuild a historic home, designed by Richard Neutra, that he illegally demolished to build on the site. <p> <img src=""></a><br> <em>All that remains is the garage door and frame.<br>Google Street View.</em> <p> According to the San Francisco <em>Chronicle</em>, Washington <em>Post</em> and several other news outlets, the Largent House, a 1936 Twin Peaks neighborhood, Richard Neutra design, at 49 Hopkins Avenue, was demolished to make room for a much larger house that was proposed for the site. <p> In a 5-0 vote, the San Francisco City Planning Commission ordered that the property owner rebuild an exact replica of the house and place a sidewalk plaque that describes the original house, its demolition and the replica that replaces it. <p> The owner had received permission to remodel the extant house with virtually no changes to the first floor. After the demolition, the owner applied for a retroactive demo permit and plans to build a 4,000 square foot house to replace the 1,500 square foot Largent House. The owner paid $1.7 million for the Largent House that was demolished. <p> <img src=""></a><br> <em>Before the demolition.<br>Google Street View.</em> <p> Richard Neutra was an important architect of his era and Largent house was one of only five Neutra houses were built in San Francisco. The planning commission hopes this sends a strong message to developers who ignore building laws. The action strikes a blow for historic preservation. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">SF to developer who tore down landmark house: Rebuild it exactly as it was</a> published December 15, 2018. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Now he must rebuild an exact replica</a> Washington <em>Post</em>, December 17, 2018. Operation Bridge Rescue Wed, 03 Oct 2018 00:00:00 PST The popular PBS series, NOVA, documented the rebuilding of the Blenheim Covered Bridge, an 1855 structure that was washed washed away by Hurricane Irene in 2011. A replacement bridge, a replica of the original, was built over 2017-2018. This television show documented the rebuilding. <p> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe> <p> If you missed it on PBS, you can watch it on their website: <p> <a href=""></a> <p> Appleton Locks Reopen To Watercraft Thu, 20 Sep 2018 00:00:00 PST The Fox River Navigation System Authority (Wisconsin) has announced that a swing bridge, previously not operational, has been repaired. The inability of the bridge to open has limited the height of watercraft that use the locks in the navigational channel. <p> Now that the bridge is operational, the navigation channel is open to all Fox River watercraft that able to lock through Appleton. <p> <a href=""> <img src="" border="0" WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=280></a><br> <em>Photo by Fox River Navigation System Authority</em>. Lift Bridge Over Fox Navigation Channel To Be Operational Again Thu, 19 Jul 2018 00:00:00 PST The Veterans Memorial Bridge in Kaukauna, Wisconsin, has been ordered to be returned to operational condition by the U.S. Coast Guard. The lift bridge, that carries Catherine Street across the Fox River Navigational Channel, has not been operational since the 1980s. The bridge was built in 1984. <p> The Fox locks fell into disuse and the lift bridge stopped being utilized. The locks were restored in 2015 but mariners seldom use them because they cannot get craft under the Veterans Memorial Bridge. <p> WLUK in Green Bay reports that Kaukauna received notification from the U.S. Coast Guard that the bridge must be operational by May 1, 2021. Kaukauna Mayor Tony Penterman says the biggest issue is funding. Except for the lift mechanism, the bridge is in good condition so it is possible not many federal dollars will be available. The projected cost of the repairs is $2.2 Million. <p> Source: <a href="" target="_blank">WLUK Green Bay</a>. Ford Buys Historic Detroit Train Station Mon, 11 Jun 2018 00:00:00 PST Crain’s Business is reporting that Matthew Moroun says the Moroun family has sold the historic Michigan Central Station in Detroit to Ford Motor Co. <p> The station has been unused since the last train pulled out in 1988. The Moroun Family bought the building in 1995 and had done some tedevelopment work. Moroun says the Blue Oval will adorn the building. The purchase signals Ford’s return to Detroit, where the company was founded in 1903. It also signals redevelopment of Corktown. <p> The sale also allows the Moroun family’s to pursue plans to replace the 88 year old Ambassador Bridge. <p> Link: <a href=""></a> <p> <strong>Edited to Add: </strong> The Detroit Free Press also reported on the sale and added some insight. Follow the link to see photos of the old station. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Ford Buys Train Station</a>. Historic Church Will Be Rebuilt Tue, 05 Jun 2018 00:00:00 PST “Our intent is to rebuild” say officials of Trinity Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The church suffered $17 million in damage from a spectacular fire last month. <p> Structural engineers have determined that the original 1878 walls are strong enough, with some bracing, to support reconstruction of the Church. <p> <a href=""></a> Four Alarm Fire Consumes Historic Church Tue, 15 May 2018 00:00:00 PST The 1878 Trinity Lutheran Church was destroyed today in a spectacular four-alarm fire. The church, in downtown Milwaukee, was constructed with cream city brick and Illinois limestone, both darkened with a patina of dirt and soot. It was also home to a historic Schuelke pipe organ that likely did not survive the fire. <p> The fire was reported just before 4:00 PM and quickly escalated to a fourth alarm. A plume of black smoke could be seen for miles. Wind from the east blew smoke over I-43 a block to the west of the church, causing several miles of traffic backups. Over 100 firefighters were able to bring the fire under control not long after 5:00 PM. One steeple collapsed into the church. The tower clock continued to keep time until the power was cut at 4:27 PM. <p> <a href=""><img src="" alt="Aerial View May 15, 2018"></a><br>Photo by Fox6Now News (Link Below) <p> <p> <p> The church is surrounded by industry, a former brewery being redeveloped, a technical college and a new arena under construction. Few of the homes that belonged to parishioners who built the church are extant. The church has an active congregation that is in disbelief over the destruction of the church. <p> Jim McCabe, founder of the Milwaukee Brewing Company which is across the street. Mr. McCabe took these photos of the fire. <p> <a href=""><img src="" alt="MFD Continues Pouring in Water"></a> <br><em>Trinity Fire Photo by</em> Jim McCabe. <p> <a href=""><img src="" alt="Firre Starts approx. 4:00 PM May 15, 2018"></a> <br><em>Trinity Fire Photo by</em> Jim McCabe. <p> <a href=""><img src="" alt="Church is Fully Involved"></a> <br><em>Trinity Fire Photo by</em> Jim McCabe. <p> <a href=""><img src="" alt="After Roof Collapse"></a> <br><em>Trinity Fire Photo by</em> Jim McCabe. <p> <a href=" " target="_blank">Firefighters battle 4-alarm blaze at historic church in downtown Milwaukee</a> Fox6Now News, Milwaukee. <p> <strong>EDITED TO ADD:</strong> Fox6 followed up on the fire today (May 16) saying that several artifacts were rescued from the church, including the cross that came from Germany with the first members of the congregation. <a href="" target="_blank">Pastor of church blocks from 4-alarm blaze: ‘Any of these churches are a spark away from fire’</a> posted by Ben Handelman. Other stories are linked at the end of that piece. Aurora's Paramount Theater Receives Its Largest Grant Ever Sun, 25 Feb 2018 00:00:00 PST The Paramount Theater has announced the largest grant it has ever received to help launch a fund-raising campaign. In a press release, the theater says it received a grant of $2.5 million from the Dunham Fund. The fundraising effort has a goal of $4.5 million to fund expansion and improvement in three areas. <p> One such goal is the replacement of the 1,888 seats that are original to the theater. The group says the seats <p> have served more than eight million patrons since the theater opened in 1931. The new seats are to be larger and more comfortable than the originals. <p> The Copley Theater, a 173 seat sister stage across the street from the Paramount, will be upgraded. The Copley was built in 1981 and needs new carpeting, seating, technical upgrades, and remodeling of dressing rooms and the backstage area. <p> Lastly, the fund will create a new Paramount School of Performing Arts in downtown Aurora. The school is slated for opening in 2019 to encourage and train young actors, dancers, and musicians in the western suburbs of Chicago. The development also will include about 30 artist-preference apartment units, a restaurant and rehearsal space for the Paramount. <p> This story has appeared in several media outlets, including <a href="" target="_blank"> $2.5 million Paramount Theatre grant 'milestone' for Aurora</a> in the Aurora <em>Beacon-News</em> edition of the Chicago <em>Tribune</a>. Tax Credit Increase for Historic Preservation Passes in Wisconsin Thu, 22 Feb 2018 00:00:00 PST Lawmakers in Wisconsin passed a landmark (pun intended) bill on February 20 to increase the state's cap on per-project historic rehabilitation tax credits. The increase bumps the credit from $500,000 to $3.5 million. The bill passed the Senate on a bi-partisan vote of 29-3 after unanimously passing the Assembly. The bill now moves on to the desk of Governor Scott Walker, who is expected to sign the bill into law. <p> A previous budget item would have set the limit at $500,000 as of July 1. <p> Advocates say the lower tax credits jeopardized numerous projects across the state. The increase will have a direct effect on the restoration of Old Main, the Edward Townsend Mix designed building that is the face of the Old Soldier's Home in Wood, Wisconsin. <p> The increase is considered to be a stimulant for restoration and development all across the state. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">State Legislature approves increase to historic tax credit cap</a> from the Milwaukee <em>BizTimes</em>. Historic Fire Station to Become Restaurant Tue, 20 Feb 2018 00:00:00 PST A former fire station in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin is scheduled to be repurposed as a restaurant. According to the Milwaukee <em>Journal-Sentinel</em>, a successful area restaurateur purchased the property for $1.00 and will convert the facility in a $2 million project. Some funding will come from the State of Wisconsin and Menomonee Falls. Scheduled to open this summer, the building served as the city hall a fire house from 1929. City hall moved but the building continued as a fire station until 2015. It was placed on the NRHP in 1988. <p> Link: <a href="" target="_blank">Fire Station Restaurant Conversion</a>. USGS topographic quadrangles updated Sat, 10 Feb 2018 00:00:00 PST The USGS has shifted their collection of historical and modern quadrangle maps to a new hosting provider (Amazon S3). I've updated all of our quadrangle links to point to the new files. One advantage of the new hosting system is that the maps are no longer tucked away in ZIP archives, so the PDF files can now be downloaded directly. <p> To access the quadrangles, pick any county and then click the Quadrangles link in the top menu bar. You can also find links from each landmark page. Trucker Who Collapsed Historic Bridge Gets Jail Time Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:00:00 PST <a href=""><img src="" WIDTH=630 HEIGHT=354></a> <p> The truck driver who caused a historic Indiana bridge to collapse because she wasn’t sure how much six tons weighed has been sentenced to jail. <p> Indiana Judge R. Michael Cloud sentenced 24 year old truck driver Mary Lambright to the maximum sentence of 180 days behind bars. She was also ordered to pay $2000 to cover part of the costs of the bridge inspection once construction on the new structure is completed. <p> <a href=""><img src=""></a> <p> The bridge collapsed over a year ago as <a href="" target=" blank">Lambright was hauling 43,000 pounds of bottled water through Paoli, Indiana, on Christmas Day in 2015</a>. <p> Lambright told police she was headed to Walmart to park her truck but missed her exit. After making several turns, she entered a parking lot to turn her truck around to try to get back to the Walmart. The parking lot she turned into was too full for her to make the turn, so she drove onto the iron bridge that spans Lick Creek. <p> The bridge sheared the top of the trailer off while the weight of the truck collapsed the structure. Police believe that she was traveling at about 30 m.p.h. when she began crossing the bridge. <p> Lambright and her 17 year old female passenger were not injured. <p> Lambright told police that she saw signage about the bridge’s maximum 6 ton weight limit, but that she was not sure how many pounds made up 6 tons. The bridge had a no truck sign posted as well. <p> She also told police that she was uncomfortable backing her truck up, which was why she chose to drive it across the tiny bridge instead. <p> Lambright lost her job over the incident. <p> She pled guilty to charges of reckless operation of a tractor-trailer, disregarding a traffic control device, and overweight on posted bridge earlier this year. <p> <I>“I’m really, really sorry about what happened and, if I could go back and do it over again, I wouldn’t be so stupid,”</I> she told the court. <br> * * * <p> <i>Published by </i>CDL Life News<i> on April 12, 2017. Republished here with permission. See the original article at <a href="" target=" blank"></i>Trucker Who Collapsed Historic Bridge Gets Jail Time</a>. Theurer-Wrigley House On The Market Sat, 04 Feb 2017 12:26:00 PST Here's your chance to hobnob with Chicago's elite and entertain your guests in high style in Chicago's Lincoln Park. The Wrigley Mansion, as it is commonly known, is a 9 bedroom, six bathroom home that overlooks Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan. The 13,700 square foot mansion features a mahogany paneled library and a top floor ballroom where you can host your own murder mystery parties. The mansion has been on the NRHP since July 1980. <p> <a href=""> <img src=""></a><br> <em>Wrigley Mansion, Photo by</em> chicagoist. <p> For a cool $7.1 Million dollars, you too can live like a chewing gum magnate. <p> Follow the link for a photo tour of the interior of the mansion: <a href="" target="_blank">Photos: Look Inside Lincoln Park's Epic Historic Wrigley Mansion</a> 1906 Arch Bridge Closed Without Warning Wed, 14 Dec 2016 00:00:00 PST An important component of Milwaukee's historic Lake Park was closed without notice on December 9. The bridge, designed by Alfred C. Clas and George Bowman Ferry, connects the northern and southern halves of the park by spanning a deep ravine. Lake Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. It was posted to the NRHP in 1993. <p> <a href=""> <img src=""></a><br> <em>The historic bridge's fate is uncertain</em> <p> The concrete arch bridge has been a source of concern for several years. Cracks and spalling raised concerns, leading to a structural analysis in 2015. Potential failure of the bridge prompted its closure on December 9 along with the closing of Ravine Drive, a roadway spanned by the bridge. According to County Executive Chris Abele, the bridge will be demolished if people ignore the chain link gates that block access. <p> Estimates to repair or to replace the bridge hover around $2 million, a sum not readily available. Fans of Lake Park and of the historical value of bridge are disappointed over rumors of the bridge's potential demolition. <p> The concrete arch bridge was part of a promenade that included a grand staircase (extant) allowing access to the lower portion of the park at the bottom of Lake Michigan's famous western shore bluff. There was also an athletic field and stands that were demolished decades ago. <p> <a href=""> <img src=""></a><br> <em>Ravine Drive, a popular roadway, is also closed</em> Developer drops plans to demolish historic Frank Lloyd Wright building Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:00:00 PST One of three Frank Lloyd Wright structures in the state of Montana seems to have avoided the wrecking ball. A copyrighted article by Heidi Desch in the Whitefish <em>Pilot</em>, reports a developer purchased the Lockridge Medical Clinic in Whitefish, Montana with the intention of demolishing it to make room for a commercial development. <p> Developer Mick Ruis purchased the building and says when he purchased the building, he was not aware of Frank Lloyd Wright nor had any idea that Wright is so popular. Although listing on the NRHP does not prevent a property's demolition, Ruis apparently ran into backlash from Wright affectionados. <p> Ruis listed the building at the same price he paid for it and hopes it will be purchased by someone who will restore it or turn it into a museum. <p> Link: <a href="">DEVELOPER DROPS PLANS TO DEMOLISH HISTORIC FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT BUILDING</a> from the Whitefish [Montana] <em>Pilot</em>. Isadore Heller House Back on the Market Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:00:00 PST Curbed Chicago is reporting that the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Isadore Heller House has returned to the real estate market after taking a break. The 1896 design is a significant example of FLW's developing Prairie Style. <p> It is located in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood and was added to the NRHP in 2004. <p> Oh, if you want in, the asking price is $2.425 million and the price appears to be firm. <p> <a href="">Frank Lloyd Wright's Isadore Heller House Returns Asking $2.425m</a> from Curbed Chicago. Famous Tama LH Bridge Damaged in a Hit-And-Run Accident Sat, 15 Oct 2016 00:00:00 PST The Tama <em>News Herald</em> Toledo <em>Chronicle</em> is reporting this morning that an early morning accident October 11 dislodged the letter "Y" in the north railing of the Mud Creek Bridge in Tama. The letter is one of the balustrades that spell "LINCOLN HIGHWAY" on the railings of the iconic bridge. They further report that the damage may have been caused by a chrome bumper or chrome wheels because there are no paint scrapes on the letter or the railing itself. <p> Authorities say the bridge recently underwent structural analysis and they believe insurance should cover the cost of repairs. <p> The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places. <p> <a href="" target="_blank"><img src="" border="0" WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=280 alt="Damage to Tama Bridge. Photo by John Speer, Tama News-Herald photo Tama Bridge Damage_zpsc5gxb1pd.jpg"/></a> <br><em>Photo courtesy of the </em>News-Herald<em><BR> Photo by John Speer</em>. <p> Link to original article:<br> <a href=""></a> Six Veteran's Home Buildings to be Restored Thu, 04 Aug 2016 00:00:00 PST The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has selected a local team's proposal to rehabilitate and restore six of the Milwaukee Soldiers Home District buidlings for the service of veteraans. <p> The Alexander Company of Madison and the Housing Authority of Milwaukee plan to renovate the six buildings in 100 housing units. Primary is the restoration of Old Main (officially #2) the most recognizable building in Wood, designed by Milwaukee's prominant architect. William Townsend Mix. Its distinctive tower is one of the first elements seen by visitors to the VA facility. The other five buildings are the Administration Building (#1) the Catholic Chaplain's Quarters (#14) and three duplexes, (#18, #19 and #62.) <p> <a href=""> <img src="" WIDTH=630 HEIGHT=354 /></a><br> <em>Buildings to be restored, outlined in blue.</em> <p> Funding will come from the Enhanced Use Lease (ELU) option with the structures leased to The Alexander Company who will take on the cost of rehabilitation. <p> The area is officially known as the Northwestern Branch, National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers Historic District. Better known locally as the VA Center at Wood, it is one of the original three "Old Soldiers' Homes" signed into law by President Abraham Lincoln just prior to his assassination. One of Milwaukee's most prominant architects, <a href="">Edward Townsend Mix</a> designed the most distinctive structure, Building #2 known as Old Main.