Reload the page or click here
for another random landmark
Tigerton Village Hall and Engine House
215 Cedar St., Tigerton, Wisconsin
The Village of Tigerton built new municipal facilities, so the Tigerton Main Street Association bought the old structure and restored it.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+44.74066, -89.0634244°44'26" N, 89°03'48" W
OLD TIGERTON VILLAGE HALL
From the Pineries to the Present (Taken from a landmark sign)
In 1905, the Tigerton Village Board purchased land from H.R. Swanke to construct a Village Hall and Engine House for nearly $3,400. Swanke loaned the Village $4,000 to fund the project.
In 1906, two jail cells were purchased; one remains in the building. The ground floor was used an an engine house for horse drawn fire-fighting apparatus. Horses were provided by a local lumber company. Fire apparatus was housed there until 1983. The original tower's bell is on display inside. Village offices and the public library were housed in the building's upper level until 1980.
Tigerton Main Street, Inc., purchased the deteriorating building in April 2003, replacing the roof and bell tower. In 2006, Main Street, Inc. completed the restoration of the building as an office and community space. The project was funded by USDA Rural Development,
The Jeffris Family Foundation, The National Trust for Historic Preservation, and by donations from area residents, busineses, and organizations.
From the Pineries to the Present
Heritage Toruism Area, July 4, 2007
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 2008
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic functions
- City hall; Fire station
- Current functions
- Business; Civic
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Significant year
- March 25, 2012: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- September 1, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added GPS Coordinates