July 27, 2020
According to the Toledo Business Journal, the group, an IRS 501(c)3 not for profit organization would like to restore the three story, Romanesque lighthouse to its original appearance. The lighthouse is not easily accessible. It is located 8.4 miles from the mouth of the Maumee River and marks the entrance to Toledo Harbor. It was built in 1901 by the Army Corps of Engineers on an artificial island, created by sinking a large crib, filling it with stone and topping it with concrete.
The crib was designed and construction supervised by the noted military engineer, Orlando Metcalfe Poe. He is most noted for his design and construction of the first Poe Lock at Sault St. Marie in 1896 and was the largest lock in the world at the time. It has since been extended to 1,200 feet and is the only lock at the Soo capable of handling the large freighters that pass through it. Poe was responsible for the building of several Great Lakes lighthouses.
According to THLPS when the restoration is complete, docents will offer tours in season.