Eugene R. Liebert
"Eugene Liebert (1866-1945) was born and educated in Germany and came to Milwaukee in 1883. He first obtained employment at the Trostel and Gallun tannery, Trostel being a relative. Subsequently he worked as a draftsman for architect H.C. Koch beginning in 1884. Liebert followed H.P. Schnetzky when the latter left his partnership with Koch, and Liebert worked as a foreman (1887, 1888) and then as a draftsman (1889, 1890) for Schnetzky. The two went into partnership as Schnetzky and Liebert from 1891 through 1896. During their collaboration they designed the McGeoch Building (1890, 1894), the J.P. Kissinger Block (1893), the Ernst Pommer House (1895), and the Germania Building
(1896), among other structures. Liebert went into practice on his own in 1897 and had offices in a number of downtown buildings including the Colby-Abbot Building. His later commissions included the additions to the Red Star Yeast Plant (1899 Ė the 1930s), the Concordia College Administration Building (1900), the Fred Kraus residence (1902), the A. O. Trostel residence (1907-08), and the Henry Harnischfeger residences (1905 and 1926). Many of Liebertís clients were prominent German-Americans, and his work reflects German stylistic influences.
"Two of Liebertís four sons, Walter F. and Carl, worked with him at different times during this career, Carl worked with his father during the latterís final years. Eugene Liebert was active until his death on April 27, 1945. For most of his adult life Liebert occupied the house at 1948 North Holton Street, which he had built in 1887 when he was 21 years of age. His finest surviving residential designs are the Chateauesque Fred Kraus residence, 1521 N. Prospect Avenue (1902), and the remarkable Henry Harnischfeger House. The Harnischfeger House was the inspiration for Liebertís masterpiece, the palatial Albert O. Trostel House, formerly at 3200 N. Lake Drive, which was razed in 1935 after a fire."
~From the 1991 City of Milwaukee Historic Designation Study Report for the Henry Harnischfeger Mansion
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)5-Story, low-rise commercial building in the heart of the Historic Third Ward
Henry Harnischfeger Mansion
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)2-Ĺ story, gable-roofed, German Renaissance Revival style mansion on a raised, rock faced limestone terrace