Edward Townsend Mix
View Exhibit map
Edward Townsend Mix (1831-1890) was the principal of E.T. Mix and Co. of Milwaukee. His partner was W. A. Holbrook (1849-1910) were both involved in projects together, especially St. Paul's Episcopal Church
on Milwaukee's lower east side.
Mix was born and raised in New Haven, Connecticut and apprenticd for six years with Richard Upjohn, a New York architect who was a proponent of Gothic Revival design. (There are at least 70 historic sites on this website that are attributed to Richard Upjohn.)
Between 1850 and 1856, he worked in Chicago in association with William W. Boyington, the architect of Chicago's famous Water Tower.
In 1856, Mix came to Milwaukee. He designed a wide variety of buildings, from residences to churches to the majestic "Old Main" as the residents called the Old Soldiers Home at Wood, Wisconsin. He was known for his flamboyant Victorian designs, his fine ecclesiastical architecture and his meticulously detailed Gothic Revival forms. Hia churches include St. Paul's Episcopal Church, All Saints Episcopal Church, Immanuel Presbyterian Church and First Congregational Church in Ripon. His domestic design is exemplified by the Jason Downer House, the Charles Allis House and the A.H. Allyn House in Delavan. (All of these listings are shown on this site.)
Chauncey Hall Building
(Racine County, Wisconsin)1883 Victorian Building designed by noted architect E. Townsend Mix
First Methodist Church
(Green County, Wisconsin)Mix designed Late-Gothic Revival church repurposed as a theater and arts center for the community.
Henry Harrison Button House
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Italianate mansion on Milwaukee's lower east side, now serving as an art gallery
Jason Downer House
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Victorian Gothic mansion designed by Edward Townsend Mix for Attorney Jason Downer, Now a private office.
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Imposing example of large commercial structure of the 1870's, typical of Milv/aukee's rapid growth and commercial development following the Civil War
Matthew Keenan Residence
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Edward Townsend Mix design Italianate residence built by the vice president of Northwestern Mutual Life
(Fayette County, Iowa)Italianate mansion of brick and native limestone, built in 1874 for William Larrabee, designed by noted Milwaukee architect, E. Townsend Mix
Oneida Street Station
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Repurposed, this neoclassical revival building is listed on both the NRHP and is listed by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Italianate business block, one of the oldest buildings remaining in downtown Milwaukee
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)A three story brick commercial building erected for John Stevens in 1877
Thomas Cook House
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Former residence now serving as a sorority house near the Marquette University campus
Walter S. Chandler House
(Waukesha County, Wisconsin)Beautiful Gothic Revival mansion with great features, designed by Edward Townsend Mix
Wisconsin Consistory Building
(Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)Edward Townsend Mix design 1889 Romanesque Revival church, owned by the fraternity since 1912