Berger & Baylies
of New York
Bruno W. Berger (dates undetermined) first practiced as an architect in New York City with Theodore A. Tribit in the firm of Tribit & Berger from 1879 to 1880. In 1881, he practiced independently and in the following years joined in partnership with Franklin Baylies (dates undetermined), whose architectural career had just begun. The firm of Berger & Baylies designed commercial and residential structures in the city, including many warehouses and store and loft buildings now located in the [National Register-certified] Tribeca Historic Districts, many of which exhibit characteristics of the neo-Grec Style. The Sohmer & Company building was one of their major commissions, and unusual for the firm in that it was designed in the German Romanesque Revival style.
Berger & Baylies remained active until 1890, at which time both architects established independent practices. In 1904, Berger established the firm of Bruno W. Berger & Son, which was active at least through 1940, designing mainly residential and institutional buildings. Bayliesís office remained active through 1929, designed mostly commercial structures, some of which are located in the [National Register-listed] SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District and in the [National Register-certified] Tribeca Historic Districts. He appears to also have designed Sohmerís addition in c. 1906Ė 07.
http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000007.pdf (page 10)