Hopkins, Baker and Gill
of Florence, South Carolina
Florence, South Carolina, architectural firm of Hopkins, Baker and Gill, an office well known for its design of schools, college and university buildings, courthouses and other public buildings, state office buildings, and churches. The firm began operations in 1932 when Frank Vincent Hopkins (1902-1956), associated since 1924 with prominent late nineteenth and early twentieth century Florence, South Carolina architect William J. Wilkins, established his own practice by taking in as a partner his draftsman and designer William Wallace Baker (1908-1968) in 1933. Hopkins & Baker operated as a firm until 1946, when Wendell Ross Gill (1915-1978) became a partner in the firm of Hopkins, Baker & Gill. After Hopkins' death in 1956, the firm functioned as Baker & Gill, AlA, Architects, and ultimately as Gill, Wilkins & Wood.