Coleman Brothers

of Everett, Massachusetts
The builder contractor, Coleman Brothers, was an important contracting firm founded by John F. and William C. Coleman and originally located in Everett, Massachusetts. In 1908, they also had an office at 15 Court Square in Boston; in 1918 they were listed at 305 Dorchester Avenue in Boston; in 1920 they had offices on Devonshire Street and another location on Marginal Street in Chelsea.

The firm worked on several large public works projects in the Commonwealth ofMassachusetts. They were the builders of the 1930 Congress Street Bridge (MHC# BOS.9002) over the Fort Point Channel, which the Historic American Engineering Record described as "the largest and most highly ornamented of the three Strauss overhead counterweight bascule bridges in the Massachusetts Department of Public Works Historic Bridge Inventory." In 1910 they were awarded the contract for surfacing the main portion of the original dam (MHC# BOS.9038) at the mouth of the Charles River as well as repairs to the historic Drydock No. 1 (NHL) at the Charlestown Navy Yard. The firm was also the contractor for the major expansion ofFenway Park (NRIND 2012) in 1934 under owner Thomas Yawkey. Their projects included building what is now the Red Line of the subway along Cambridge Street in Boston for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and, for the Massachusetts Highway Department, building a road in the Mohawk Trail area of western Massachusetts. Their work also included water and sewer projects, numerous other road projects, bridge construction. The Coleman Brothers are listed in the Massachusetts Historical Commission MACRIS database as the builder of two buildings: a 1926 Boston Elevated Railway Emergency Garage (BKL.2352), and a 1956 garage in Boston's Leather District at 109-153 Lincoln Street, (BOS.1849). (NRHP Form - page 21) http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/14000063.pdf


Highland School (Suffolk County, Massachusetts)