So goes the story of New Richmond. The city that grew up around agriculture was almost completely wiped out by a tornado on the late afternoon of June 12, 1899. The storm touched down and cut a swath reported to be 1000 feet wide and 3000 feet long. It took out the entire business district and most of the city except for the west side. (The west side is a historic district.) The damage and death toll was even higher because the two-ring Gollmar Brothers Circus was in town.
With no warning, people scattered to look for shelter as the storm ravaged the town. When it was over, 117 people were dead, another 150 were injured and over 400 animals were lost. 230 buildings were destroyed, most were just piles of rubble. You can read more about the cyclone on the cyclone page of the New Richmond Heritage Center.
Some people gave up and moved on, but most stayed and rebuilt the city. Several buildings are on the NRHP and can be seen here.