Paragon Park Carousel

Also known as: Carousel Unter the Clock, Philadelphia Toboggan Co. # 85
1 Wharf Ave., Hull, Massachusetts

Philadelphia Toboggan Company carousel undergoing continuous restoration

Photos 

Photo taken by Marc Belanger in April 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

According to the National Carousel Association, the Paragon Park Carousel is classic wooden carousel with 4 rows. It features 42 jumping horses, 24 standing horses and two chariots. It has a Wurlitzer band organ with a 1928 fašade.

The carousel was built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1928.

The carousel was damaged in a 1963 fire at Paragon Park. The park was closed in 1984 with the assets auctioned off, including the carousel that was purchased by local interests. (The land was developed into condominiums.) In 1986, the carousel, with its original building, was moved to its current location.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 14, 1999
Reference number
99001081
Areas of significance
Art; Entertainment/Recreation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Work of art (sculpture, carving, rock art); Fair
Current functions
Work of art (sculpture, carving, rock art); Fair
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1928
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • February 25, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added Description and Links to Resources
  • March 28, 2015: New photos from Marc Belanger

Sources