Fort Robinson and Red Cloud Agency

2 mi. W of Crawford, Crawford, Nebraska

Map 

Description 

In 1873, the U.S. Government moved Chief Red Cloud and his large band of Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Sioux to the White River area; nearby Fort Robinson was established in 1874 to protect government employees and property. The fort served as a base for Army campaigns against several groups of Native Americans, including the 1876 campaign against the Powder River Sioux. After 1919, the fort became a major Quartermaster Remount Depot. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 19, 1960

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000442
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Military facility
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1873; 1948
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 71
Non-contributing buildings: 4
Non-contributing structures: 1