Platte County Courthouse

3rd and Main Sts., Platte City, Missouri

A two-story, soft red brick building representing Missouri architecture of the mid 19th Century

Photos 

Platte County Court House circa 1930's

Photo submitted by Jim Spawn

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Cornerstone ceremonies took place on June 20, 1866, and by May 1867 the two-story, soft red brick building was completed. It originally measured 80 by 100 feet.

The building faces south and features a triple-arched entry in the center pavilion. The black and white square flagstones on the foyer floor have been a particular source of pride. Several additions have been made through the years to this building that continues to serve as Platte County's courthouse.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 17, 1979
Reference number
79001390
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1866; 1867; 1908

Update Log 

  • May 10, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • May 29, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos
  • June 29, 2011: New photo from Jim Spawn

Sources 

Comments 

Platte County Courthouse
Posted June 29, 2011, by J.R. Manning (thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net)

Nice pic, Jim!