Poweshiek County Courthouse

302 E Main St, Montezuma, Iowa

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The first Poweshiek County courthouse was completed in 1850. Built on the northeast corner of the square, it was a two-story frame building that served not only as the courthouse but also as a school, church, meeting place. Eventually it was made into a house.

In 1856, plans for the present courthouse began. It was completed in 1859 at a cost of $1928.15. Although it is well over 100 years old the landmark continues to serve as the county courthouse. It looks much the same as it did over 130 years ago, except for the addition that was built in 1890 and the major repairs done in 1933.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 2, 1981
Reference number
81000266
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1859

Update Log 

  • September 11, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added description & link
  • September 11, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
  • April 30, 2013: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • April 24, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added GPS Coordinates

Sources