Livingston County Courthouse

112 W. Madison, Pontiac, Illinois

Map 

Street View 

Description 

...Construction began in 1875 at a cost of approximately $75,000. The architect was John C. Cochrane (1833-1887) of Chicago who was associated at the time with Alfred H. Piquenard (born in France and died in Springfield, Illinois in 1876). Earlier, the partnership had designed the Illinois and Iowa State Capitols. The Civil War Monument was erected in 1902. The courthouse is in the Second Empire style with pavilions capped by mansard roofs. The foundation and upper walls are brick with limestone trim used in the water table, string courses, quoins, and door and window arches. The spandrels of the corner pavilions are parged in stucco. The cornice and roof dormers are galvanized sheet metal... -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1986
Reference number
86003165
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1874

Update Log 

  • June 9, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources