Nickel Plate Road Steam Locomotive No. 587

Off 1st Ave., Beech Grove, Indiana

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen in 1993

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A 2-8-2 built by Baldwin in 1918 for the Lake Erie & Western RR, it was numbered 5541. The Nickel Plate RR acquired the LE&W in 1922 & renumbered the locomotive 587. When retired in 1955 it was donated to the city of Indianapolis & displayed in Broad Ripple Park until 1983. Then it was leased to the Indiana Transportation Museum & sent to the Amtrak shops in Beach Grove for restoration. (It was listed on the National Register while it there & the above map shows that location.) After it was restored it went to the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville (Hamilton Co., Indiana). While there it pulled several excursion trains. The museum was located in a Noblesville city park & was booted out in 2018. The engine is now at a temporary location.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1984
Reference number
84000313
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Rail-related
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1918; 1955; 1955

Update Log 

  • January 22, 2020: New photos from Jim Allen
  • January 21, 2020: Updated by Jim Allen: updated description
  • May 2, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description

Sources