Larson Brothers Airport

4838 County Hwy II, Larsen, WI 54947

Wisconsin's Oldest Continually Active Airport


Overview Looking North

Photo taken by J.R. Manning September 2017





On his father's farm in 1922, Roy Larson, his brothers, Clarence, Newell and Leonard cleared an 80 rod strip for a runway. Roy received flying instructions at Chicago in 1919, paying $50. per hour. Roy and Clarence attended the Sweeney Mechanics School in Kansas City, Mo. Purchasing their first airplane, a Canuck, in 1922, Roy taught his brothers to fly. The plane, with wings removed, was stored in the barn during the winter. In 1924, a 52 x 60 hangar was constructed. They now had a real airport, instructing students, and giving pleasure rides, $5 for 10 minutes, for an extra $5, you could have loops and rolls. The brothers left the plow to go roaring over the fields in their flying machines. They barnstormed at county fairs, picnics and for political campaigns throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota. They had the agency for Waco Planes in Wis. and Upper Mich. during 1926-27. Roy was a well known pilot throughout the midwest, his aviator friends used this airport to refuel and as a place to rest. During Word War II, Leonard instructed glider pilots for the army at Antigo and in Missouri. Leonard, the sole surviving brother, and his wife, Viola, have continued to operate the oldest exiting airport in the state.

On April 5, 1984, The Larson Brothers Airport was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

This marker is dedicated to the memory of the Larson Brothers and other early pilots, who pioneered aviation in Wisconsin.

Erected 1985

Leonard Wilbur Larson
Viola Larson

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 5, 1984
Reference number
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1922; 1924
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • September 9, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos
  • June 24, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Coordinates