First Congregational Church

202 N 6th St., Marshall, Illinois

Richardsonian Romanesque style church

Photos 

Trimetric View

Photo taken by J.R. Manning November 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The church is constructed with limestone walls, laid in alternating smooth and rusticated rows with a 56' tower that holds the church's historic bell. It survived from previous structures and was cast in 1850 by the Buckeye Bell Foundry of Cincinnati, Ohio.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 5, 2003
Reference number
02001753
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1908

Tags 

20th Century (29,076)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1908 (877)
Built during 1900s (9,447)
Church (5,714)
Clark County, Illinois (11)
Gray Construction Company (1)
Illinois (2,690)
Limestone (8,192)
Marshall, Illinois (7)
Place of worship (6,081)
Private owner (54,398)
Romanesque (2,722)
Victorian (19,698)

Update Log 

  • December 9, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photographs

Sources