Church of the Holy Family

E. 1st St., Cahokia, Illinois

Photos 

North side

Photo taken by James Baughn

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Catholic priests founded a mission here in 1699. The present structure, erected between 1786 and 1799, is typical of French Colonial upright log construction and served as a parish church until 1891. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
70000851
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Log building
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1786; 1799

Update Log 

  • April 7, 2012: New photos from James Baughn

Sources