Sashabaw Presbyterian Church

NE of Clarkston at 5331 Maybee Rd., Clarkston, Michigan

Photos 

Sept. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This church structure, one of the oldest in the Detroit Presbytery, was erected by a church building society which was organized on January 20, 1855. A fine example of the classic New England church, it was built and furnished for $3,000. It was dedicated in June, 1856, as the house of worship for the First Presbyterian Church of Independence. The congregation had been organized in 1849 under the Plan of Union as the Church of Orion and Independence. Because of a small membership, the church in 1932 was dissolved. When Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1946, this building became its house of worship. The original steeple was restored and the building carefully preserved.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1980
Reference number
80001885
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1856

Update Log 

  • September 25, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources