Richland Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Old Richland Presbyterian Church
CR 1313, Gadsden, South Carolina


Richland Presbyterian Church, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


Richland Presbyterian Church is significant as a rare virtually unaltered example of the nineteenth century rural, vernacular church. Its congregation was probably the first organized Presbyterian church in lower Richland County, having its roots in a mission Sunday School established there in 1873. This church was not constructed until 1883, when people of the community with both Lutheran and Presbyterian backgrounds joined together to erect a building on land purchased from the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was dedicated with eleven members by the Reverend John L. Girardeau, Presbyterian theologian, in May 1884. The building remained in use until 1922, when a new brick church in the town of Eastover was completed and occupied. The effort toward relocation had begun in 1919, when the congregation decided that more people could be served if a move to the nearby town was undertaken. The meeting house form building’s primary feature is an octagonal entrance tower on its façade. The tower has a Gothic-arched portal in its forward facet, with single windows in flanking facets. Louvered vents are located in the upper stage of the tower. An octagonal hipped roof with flared eaves rises to a metal finial at the top of the tower. The spartan interior of the church has original plaster walls and board-and-batten ceiling. An iron fence surrounds the adjacent cemetery. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Religious structure
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • October 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 17, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller