Corinth Baptist Church

N. Herndon St., Union, South Carolina

Historic African-American church in Union, SC

Photo 

Corinth Baptist Church

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This church was built in 1894 as the first separate building to house Corinth Baptist Church, which was the first black congregation in Union. It is significant both for its association with the early black history of Union and as an example of an early vernacular interpretation of the Gothic Revival architectural style, common to religious buildings of the period. Corinth Baptist Church was established ca. 1893 and had its first services in the old Union Methodist Church, near the present location of Union Mill. In 1893 Thomas C. Duncan, owner of the new mill, intended to expand his operations and build a company store; he purchased the old building and lot from the congregation for $600. The congregation purchased a lot on North Herndon (then Judgment) Street in January 1894 and began construction of a new church, which was completed by the end of the year. Listed in the National Register July 20, 1989. It has since been significantly altered. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 20, 1989
Reference number
89000939
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • November 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources