Calhoun School Principal's House
Also known as: Calhoun School-Hampton Cottage, Calhoun Colored SchoolCR 33, Calhoun, Alabama
The last remaining structure from the Calhoun Colored School.
+32.05793, -86.5494532°03'29" N, 86°32'58" W
In 1943, the state of Alabama acquired the Calhoun Colored School. It serves as a predominantly African-American public high school run by the Lowndes County Board of Education.
The principal's house on County Route 53 is the last remaining structure from the original school. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of the important achievements of the school and the role it played in African-American education in Lowndes County.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 26, 1976
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; Victorian
- Areas of significance
- Ethnic Heritage - Black; Education
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- B - Person
- Property type
- Historic function
- Single dwelling
- Period of significance