Father Flanagan's Boys' Home

W. Dodge Rd., Boys Town, Nebraska

Photos 

Boystown

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

In 1921, Father Edward Joseph Flanagan (1886-1948) established his home for homeless boys on a farm outside Omaha. This "City of Little Men" led in the development of new juvenile care methods in 20th-century America, emphasizing social preparation in what has become a recognized prototype for public boys' homes worldwide. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, February 4, 1985

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1985
Reference number
85002439
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival; Other architectural type; English Rural Gothic
Areas of significance
Education; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
School; Institutional housing
Current functions
Institutional housing; School
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1921
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 70
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • January 12, 2022: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • April 27, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources