Lincoln Park Post Office

Also known as: Lincoln Park Historical Museum
1335 Southfield Rd., Lincoln Park, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

The 1938 Lincoln Park Post Office was the first non-branch post office in this Detroit suburb. Erected by the United States Treasury Department, the building marked Lincoln Park's coming of age as a city with a large enough population to warrant its own facility. Architect Louis A. Simon designed the classicist building, which is typical of Depression era architecture. The building's interior was lavishly decorated with special materials including several types of marble, birch paneling, and maple flooring. Although sparse in detail, three carved stone panels above the main entrance symbolize the modes of transportation by which mail was delivered at the time: by surface, by air, and by water.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 2004
Reference number
03001551
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Post office
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1938; 1939
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • September 30, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources