"Thirteen identical buildings erected between 1935 and 1942 from[sic] the largest group of related buildings in this nomination. There are subtle differences among each of the these buildings, but the basic form and appearance remain constant -- symmetrically massed one-story brick structures with stone wwatertable[sic], a classical entracne flanked by fluted engaged Doric columns and ppilasters[sic]supporting a simple entablature, two window bays flanking the main entrance and a square cupola crowning a gable roof. Buildings in this group include post offices at Albion (1937-8), Ticonderoga (1936-7), Attica (1936-7), East Rochester (1936-7), Springville (1936-7), St. Johnsville (1937), Canajoharie (1937), Harrison (1938-9), Delhi (1938-9), Delmar (1939-40), Lowville (1939-40), and Little Valley (1941-42). Several different designs were used for small post offices in New York State in the 1930's[sic], but they all relate to this larger group in their basic form, symmetrical composition and construction materials."
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Larry E. Gobrecht of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Field Services Bureau, December 1986.
The lobby mural was painted in 1938 by Bernard Gussow, an artist who was born and educated in Paris. He taught art at the Newark, New Jersey School of Fine and Industrial Art. The mural is entitled, "Recreation Hours" and for some unknown reason, was removed and stored in the basement of the station. It was discovered in 2003, restored, and replaced in the lobby.