GEO. M. VERITY

Also known as: Towboat GEO. M. VERITY, ex S.S. THORPE
Keokuk River Museum, Victory Park, Keokuk, Iowa

Photo 

George M. Verity

Photo taken by Ray Kasal

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1927 and originally christened SS THORPE, this is one of only three steam-powered towboats extant in the United States. She and her sister ships reopened barge freight service on the upper Mississippi, using modern equipment and management methods. The service was so successful that private investors copied the methods and equipment, building a huge new industry. Renamed GEORGE M. VERITY in 1940, she towed barges loaded with coal and scrap iron on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and several of their tributaries, serving a vital function to the American steel industry. Currently, she is a dry berth exhibit on the Mississippi riverfront in Keokuk. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 20, 1989

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 20, 1989
Reference number
89002459
Areas of significance
Industry; Engineering; Transportation; Maritime History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1925-1949
Significant year
1927

Update Log 

  • April 6, 2017: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Corrected GPS.
  • April 6, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • July 23, 2012: New photo from Ray Kasal

Sources