NASH (harbor tug)

Also known as: MAJOR ELISHA K. HENSON (LT-5)
1776 Niagara St., Buffalo, New York

Map 

Description 

Built as the MAJ. ELISHA K. HENSON in 1943 for the U.S. Army, this vessel is typical of the several hundred large harbor tugs (LTs) sent ot every theater of World War II operations. As HENSON, the tug sailed to Europe in 1944, where she supported amphibious landing operations and invasions. The only known surviving Army service craft associated with the D-Day landings (June 6, 1944), NASH remains essentially unmodified. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 4, 1992

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 1991
Reference number
91002059
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1943; 1944