Woodland Opera House

Also known as: Hershey Opera House
320 2nd St., Woodland, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"The first opera house to serve the Sacramento Valley was built on this site in 1885. The present structure, built in 1895-96, continues to represent an important center for theatrical arts of that period. Erected by David M. Hershey and incorporating the classic American playhouse interior, it served vast agricultural regions of the Sacramento Valley. Motion picture competition hastened its closing in 1913." - California Historic Landmark No.851

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1971
Reference number
71000212
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Theater
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1896

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • December 13, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources