Scoville Memorial Library

38 Main Street, Salisbury, Connecticut

Romanesque style library built in 1894 in Salisbury.

Photo 

Scoville Memorial Library

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1989

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Scoville Memorial Library was commissioned in the early 1890s with a bequest of $12,000 from the estate of townsman Jonathan Scoville. The romanesque building was designed by Stone, Carpenter & Willson of Providence, Rhode Island and built of locally quarried gray granite. Miss Grace Scoville donated the tower clock which still chimes quarter hours. Originally intended to serve as a community center as well as a library, it contains an auditorium with a piano, a stage, and a balcony. Over the reading room fireplace rests a 15th-century stone carving sent by Englandís Salisbury Cathedral.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 29, 1982
Reference number
82004473
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1894

Update Log 

  • February 18, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • December 1, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Related landmarks 

Sources