Also known as: Mudd-Munger Home, Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens331 Cotton Ave., SW, Birmingham, Alabama
A former plantation house and 6 acres (24,000 m2) of landscaped gardens near downtown Birmingham, Alabama.
+33.49990, -86.8388233°29'60" N, 86°50'20" W
Quadrangle map:Birmingham South
Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens is a former plantation house and 6 acres (24,000 m2) of landscaped gardens near downtown Birmingham, Alabama. The two-story frame structure was built between 1845-50 and features antebellum-era Greek Revival architecture. The house serves as a decorative arts museum, featuring a collection of 19th-century furniture, textiles, silver, and paintings. The garden features a restored garden room that is used for special events. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1970.
Built between 1845 and 1850 by William S. Mudd in Elyton, the second county seat of Jefferson County. Birmingham, a city that Mudd helped to establish, eventually grew to encompass the former site of Elyton. Arlington is one of the only surviving structures from the time of Elyton and is Birmingham's only antebellum mansion. Arlington was used by Union troops while planning the burning of the University of Alabama.
The ashes of former Birmingham mayor George G. Siebels, Jr. are interred at Arlington.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1970
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Areas of significance
- Military; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Hotel; Single dwelling
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1800-1824; 1825-1849
- Significant years
- 1822; 1842
- May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description