Cyrus C. Yawkey House
403 McIndoe St., Wausau, Wisconsin
Classical Revival home with Ionic columns, a portico, huge carriage house and a sunken formal garden with a fountain and purgola.
Oblique View Looking South
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2012
+44.96383, -89.6261844°57'50" N, 89°37'34" W
Quadrangle map:Wausau West
Classical Revival home with Ionic columns and a potico. It features a sunken, formal garden with a fountain and large purgola. The house was remodeled just six years after its completion.
Cyrus Yawkey came to Wisconsin from Michigan to found the Yawkey and Lee Lumber Company. It is said that Alice Yawkey named the town in which the lumber company was built, Hazelhurst, for the abundance of hazel trees in the area.
Ten years later, the Yawkeys moved to Wausau and built this beautiful home. It was donated to the Marathon County Historical Society in 1954 by the descendants of Cyrus and Alice Yawkey. It was placed on the NRHP in 1974 and underwent a $3 million restoration in 2008.
The Marathon County Historical Society is located across the street, where you can purchase tickets for a guided tour of this beautiful home.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1974
- Reference number
- NR name
- Yawkey, Cyrus C., House
- Architectural style
- Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
- Areas of significance
- Commerce; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction; B - Person
- Property type
- Historic function
- Single dwelling
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- ca. 1900
- May 9, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected the architect and corrected an error in the description.
- September 20, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected a typo
- August 12, 2012: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Coordinates, added a description and photos