Spite House

Also known as: The Thomas McCobb House
Deadman's Point, Rockport, Maine

Photos 

Map 

Description 

A large colonial mansion, known as "Spite House," was loaded on a railroad lighter at Phippsburg Center to be transported 85 miles to Rockport on July 26, 1925. The 119-year-old mansion had been sold to Donald D. Dodge of Philadelphia, who wanted it located in the summer colony of Rockport. It took three hours to load it onto the lighter and then was delivered the same day. Ambrose C. Cramer, Historic Buildings Preservation Officer of The American Institute of Architects, calls Spite House and the Kavanagh Mansion at Damariscotta Mills "the two finest examples in Maine of residential architecture in the Federal style.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 13, 1974
Reference number
74000175
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1806

Tags 

19th Century (38,126)
Built 1806 (79)
Built during 1800s (1,279)
Federal (4,600)
Granite (5,091)
House (27,905)
Knox County, Maine (105)
Maine (1,887)
Moved (2,194)
Private owner (54,402)
Rockport, Maine (7)

Update Log 

  • January 21, 2023: New photos from Brian Bartlett

Sources