Espy House

Also known as: David Espy House, Gen. Arthur St. Clair Office
123 Pitt St., Bedford, Pennsylvania

Map 

Street View 

Description 

At the time of the Whiskey Rebellion (1794), this 2-1/2-story fieldstone home was owned by a local official, David Espy. Espy made it available for the temporary use of President Washington (October 19-21, 1794) who had accompanied the militia army that later suppressed the rebels. This structure is also the only extant property associated with Revolutionary War (and U.S. Army) General Arthur St. Clair. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 28, 1983

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1974
Reference number
74001750
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1770; 1771; 1794

Update Log 

  • March 12, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources