Fountain Fox Beattie House

Also known as: Greenville Woman's Club
N. Church St., Greenville, South Carolina

Photo 

Fountain Fox Beattie House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Fountain Fox Beattie House, built by Fountain Fox Beattie ca. 1834, is significant for its architecture. This large Italianate dwelling was originally a much smaller, rather plain residence. It was the center of social, cultural, and religious life of early Greenville. The house was occupied by Beattie descendents until 1940. Now used as the Greenville Womanís Club, it is the third oldest structure remaining in Greenville. A specific date for the homeís appearance is uncertain, although the style is that of the Italianate or Tuscan villa mode popularized by Alexander Jackson Davis prior to the Civil War. Davisís designs were widely published and perhaps provided the inspiration for the Italianate detail on the structure. The two-storied central portion of the house has one-story flanking wings to either side. The one-story central piazza is supported by six pairs of square columns with one pilaster at each return. The freestanding columns are arranged to form three major and two minor semi-circular arches across the front with a major arch to either outer end. The balustraded piazza has a denticulated cornice with modillions and paired consoles corresponding to the columns below. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
Reference number
74001859
NR name
Beattie, Fountain Fox, House
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Civic
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1834; 1940; 1985

Update Log 

  • September 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 10, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources