Richards, Laura, House

Also known as: Yellow House
3 Dennis St., Gardiner, Maine

Photo 

1814 Laura E. Richards House; 3 Dennis St.,Gardiner Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

3 Dennis Street is the Laura E. Richards House, who with her husband Henry, moved into the house in July 1878 and painted it yellow; it has since been known as the Yellow House. It is a Federal-style building erected in 1814 for John Hazeltine and remodeled at the turn of the century by Henry Richards, an accomplished architect, who added a third story in the form of a monitor, and a bay window extending over the piazza which features Tuscan columns duplicating ones from the Richard ancestral manor, Catherington House, Hampshire, England. Laura E. Richards wrote ninety books here, including the first biography to receive the Pulitzer Prize. Mrs. Richards’ mother, Julia Ward Howe, author of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” was a frequent visitor here for the last thirty years of her life. This Federal style house is of frame construction with a hipped roof, clapboard siding, denticulated cornice, and central facade reflecting the center-hall plan of the building. After the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Richards, their children Rosalind, John, and Betty resided here until the last of them died in 1988. The house remains in the family and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since July 1979.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 14, 1979
Reference number
79000151
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Literature
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1878; 1943

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Alphabetized listing
  • December 7, 2013: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description, corrected date built
  • December 7, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources