Dunbar Hospital

Also known as: Detroit Medical Society Headquarters
580 Frederick St., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Sept. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

As of September 2012 this house is boarded up and is no longer being used by Detroit Medical Society Headquarters. In fact it has been many years since anyone occupied the dwelling. Though needing a restoration, the house is still in savable condition.

Michigan Historical Marker reads: At the time of World War I, health care for black Detroiters was inferior to that available for whites. Black physicians could not join the staffs of Detroit's white hospitals. On May 20, 1918, thirty black doctors, members of the Allied Medical Society (now the Detroit Medical Society) incorporated Dunbar Hospital, the city's first non-profit community hospital for the black population. It also housed the first black nursing school in Detroit. Located in a reform-minded neighborhood, this area was the center of a social and cultural emergence of the black residents of the city during the 1920s. In 1928 Dunbar moved to a larger facility and was later renamed Parkside, operating under that name until 1962. In 1978 the Detroit Medical Society, an affiliate of the National Medical Association, purchased the site for their administrative headquarters and a museum.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1979
Reference number
79001172
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Health/Medicine; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Hospital
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant year
1892

Tags 

19th Century (38,050)
African-American heritage (1,531)
Brick (42,466)
Built 1892 (743)
Built during 1890s (7,675)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
Guy W. Vinton (1)
Have Street View (49,535)
Hospital (148)
House (27,834)
Michigan (1,964)
Private owner (54,402)
Romanesque (2,724)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,168)
Victorian (19,703)
Wayne County, Michigan (350)

Update Log 

  • September 28, 2012: New photo from Rattrak

Sources