Also known as: Holly Hill, Ivy Lawn319 Grove Rd., Greenville, South Carolina
+34.82532, -82.4051834°49'31" N, 82°24'19" W
The Williams-Earle House, a ca. 1850 Greek Revival dwelling, is primarily significant for its architectural elements and integrity of location. This two-story, T-shape frame building with weatherboard siding is believed to have been completed ca. 1850, while the rear portion of the house was begun ca. 1820. The façade is dominated by a monumental portico with pillars and a plain entablature. The central doorway has multi-light sidelights, corner lights and transom. The portico is flanked by two tripartite windows on each story with nine-over-nine lights. The interior features a narrow, open string staircase with simple round balusters and newel posts. Dr. Thomas Williams, who is believed to have constructed the house, moved to Greenville as a child and eventually became a prominent Greenville physician and landowner and at one point served the Greenville District in the state legislature. Dr. Williams called his plantation on Brushy Creek Ivy Lawn. In 1880, Richard Harrison Earle, a farmer, landowner and grandson of Col. Elias Earle, a founder of Greenville, acquired the property. The nominated property also contains numerous historic outbuildings. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
The Williams-Earle House was moved. It was removed from the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 2013.
- July 5, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "GPS Coordinates" & "Description"
- July 5, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- August 21, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "National Register of Historic Places Status", Added "Description" and Imported Photo
- August 21, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller