Darby House

102 Main St., Baldwin, Louisiana

Map 

Description 

The Darby Plantation is a classic example of a raised Louisiana cottage of the French Colonial style. It was built around 1815 by Alfred Hennen near the town of Baldwin. It was sold to Agricole Fuselier eight years later. In 1856 it was purchased by Francois Opta Darby and has been known by that family name ever since. The home was purchased in 1867 by John Baldwin, Sr., whose family retained possession until 1938 when it was sold to Mrs. Jessee Frost Johnson. She continued to live on the second floor when she leased it to the bank. She sold the house to St. Mary Barn and Trust Company in 1970, and then it was purchased by Emory Hebert in 2001. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82004678
Architectural style
Other architectural type; French Colonial
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1827; 1850; 1840

Tags 

19th Century (37,874)
Baldwin, Louisiana (4)
Brick (42,462)
Built during 1820s (1,825)
House (27,678)
Louisiana (1,835)
Private owner (54,398)
St. Mary Parish, Louisiana (31)

Sources