Charles T. Mitchell House

Also known as: Mitchell House
118 N. Shelby St., Cadillac, Michigan

Photos 

Main House

Photo taken by Jim Allen in June 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This Prairie style building began as a Second Empire house built by George Mitchell in 1874. A lumberman and Cadillac's first mayor, Mitchell built the house with ornately carved woodwork and a mansard roof. His business partner, Wellington W. Cummer occupied it from 1878-1922, when it was purchased by Mitchell's grandnephew, Charles T. Mitchell. In 1926, Charles, a local industrialist, renovated the house to conform with current architectural trends. Totally redone in the Prairie style and clad with red brick, it lost its ornamentation and gained a low-pitched hipped roof. The extensive renovation was testimony to Charles Mitchell's wealth; his firms employed from one-forth to one-third of Cadillac's workforce.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 1, 1986
Reference number
86003369
NR name
Mitchell, Charles T., House
Architectural styles
American Movement: Prairie School; American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Mortuary
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1926
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • June 8, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen

Sources