Alfred Hatch Place at Arcola

Also known as: Arcola Farms, Arcola Plantation , Half-house, Hatch Place
Rt. 1, CR #2, Gallion, Alabama

A historic plantation house and historic district on the Black Warrior River several miles northwest of Gallion, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

The Alfred Hatch Place at Arcola, also known as the Arcola Plantation and locally as the Half-house, is a historic plantation house and historic district on the Black Warrior River several miles northwest of Gallion, Alabama. It is located on land first settled by Frederic Ravesies, in what was once the Vine and Olive Colony town of Arcola, founded by French immigrants in the early 19th century. This area of Hale County was part of Marengo County prior to the creation of Hale in 1867.

The main house was built by Alfred Parker Hatch in 1856. The house was the center of his 3,000-acre (12 km2) acre plantation, purchased a few years before from his brother Lemuel D. Hatch during a period of financial difficulty. Alfred Hatch was born on October 14, 1799 in Craven County, North Carolina. He married Elizabeth Vail Blount on May 8, 1822 in Craven County. They had three boys and three girls together, with all still living by the time of the American Civil War. The Alfred Hatch family migrated to Alabama in 1840. Alfred Hatch established several large plantations, most notably the one here at Arcola and Elm Ridge near Greensboro. Hatch owned a total of more than 200 slaves. Elizabeth Hatch died before the end of the Civil War and Alfred remarried to Victoria Jones Walker. They had one daughter together in 1873. Alfred P. Hatch died on January 30, 1879. He left most of the estate to his second wife, creating a rift between her and the children of his first wife.

The Hatch Place is a rare Alabama example of a temple-form house in the Greek Revival style. The house is a two-story brick structure, with massing suggestive of a pseudoperipteral building. The front facade features a monumental tetrastyle Doric portico across the front, with a full-width cantilevered balcony under the portico on the second level. A Tudor arch window is centered in the pediment over the portico. The plantation was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 6, 1988, due to its architectural and historical significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 6, 1988
Reference number
87001784
NR name
Hatch, Alfred, Place at Arcola
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural fields; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Agricultural fields; Agricultural outbuildings
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1856
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing structures: 1

Tags 

19th Century (38,023)
Alabama (1,826)
Alfred Hatch (1)
Brick (42,466)
Built 1856 (350)
Built during 1850s (4,725)
Exotic Revival (7,381)
Gallion, Alabama (4)
Hale County, Alabama (22)
House (27,794)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Private owner (54,403)
Stucco (7,816)

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources