Bridge in West Earl Township

LR 36032 over Conestoga Creek, Brownstown, Pennsylvania

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Big Conestoga Creek Bridge No. 12 is a rare combination of cantilever, arch and through-girder forms in reinforced concrete. Lancaster County engineer Frank H. Shaw, designing to meet economic constraints, site conditions, and political pressure, crafted this unusual solution in a short window of opportunity before the advent of state standards for reinforced concrete bridges. Its main span of 62'-5" is flanked by two 31'-0" cantilever arms whose tips do not rest upon the concrete abutments, which probably enclose stone abutments from a previous bridge. Of six similar structures designed by Shaw, this is one of two which remain in the state highway system. This bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER PA-500)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988
Reference number
88000875
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • December 30, 2011: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources