The land on which the Sanford House stands was purchased by Duncan McLeran in 1800s, the house was erected shortly thereafter. Likely designed by the acclaimed architect, William Nichols of Bath, England, the Oval Ballroom was built around 1815. The Sanford House was purchased by John William Sanford, a cashier at the Fayetteville bank, in 1823. It is believed the ghost of Mrs. Sanford haunts the second floor of the home. The freestanding single room, called the Oval Ballroom is octagonal on the outside, the interior contains a splendid oval chamber. According to local legend, the ballroom is believed to be where Anne Simpson poisoned her husband by putting arsenic in his coffee. The Simpson murder trial is infamous in local and state legal history.
Information source: visitfayettevillenc.com
Photo taken by John Reidy