Old Dominion Bank Building

Also known as: Athenaeum
201 Prince St., Alexandria, Virginia

Photo 

File:Athanaeum in Alexandria.jpg

Photo taken by Ser Amantio di Nicolao at en.wikipedia

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at en.wikipedia.org

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The building was constructed between 1851 and 1852 at the intersection of Lee and Prince streets to serve as the office of the Bank of the Old Dominion, where it is reported that Robert E. Lee had an account...The Bank of the Old Dominion closed its doors in 1862, but the building again hosted a bank, this time the First Virginia Bank, in the years from 1870 to 1907. In 1907 the building started to be used by the pharmaceutical wholesalers Leadbeater and Sons, one of the oldest Alexandria firms. In 1925 the property passed to the Free Methodist Church of North America, which used it until 1964, when the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association (NVFAA) purchased the building. The NVFAA still owns the property, which is used for several purposes, mainly for fine arts exhibitions, but it is also home to the Washington School of Ballet. - Wikipedia

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 1980
Reference number
80004307
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Financial institution
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1851; 1852

Update Log 

  • January 5, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Category", Added "Alternate Name", "Street View" & "Description and Imported Photo

Related landmarks 

Sources