Hotel Whiting

Also known as: Whiting Place
1408 Strongs Ave., Stevens Point, Wisconsin

A five-story Mediterranian Revival hotel, now serving as an apartment building

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

A photo from the same viewpoint, taken in the 1920s, is on display in the lobby.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"A five-story Mediterranian Revival building, the Hotel Whiting was built of masonry in 1923. It is one of the tallest buildings in Stevens Point and faces the four-story Hardware Insurance Companies Building on Strongs Avenue.

"On the principal east facade historic copper kickpanels, large plate glass windows, and multipaned transoms illuminate five retail units. At the northwest corner of the building eight stilted arch windows with multipaned casements, fanlights, and wrought iron railings light the dining room. The fenestration on the upper floors is formal with tripartite window groups over the main entrance on the east facade. Flat arch windows with double-hung, single-paned sash are located on the second through fourth floors; stilted arch windows with multi-paned casements and fanlights are located on the fifth floor. The fifth floor windows are fitted with wrought iron railings and unified by limestone belt courses, keystones, and medallions. Here the tripartite window group suggests a balcony. Above the fifth floor is a denticulated copper cornice and brick parapet wall.

"Above the first floor were approximately 120 guest rooms. These were recently converted into twenty-one luxury apartments as part of a comprehensive building renovation approved by the National Park Service. Originally each floor consisted of thirty guest rooms, opening onto an L-shaped corridor with central access to the elevator and staircase. The floors were carpeted, the walls plastered and finished with simple wood trim and unpaneled doors. The floors, walls, and woodwork of each room were finished in the same manner as the corridors, differentiated from each other by either a small private bathroom or a corner lavatory sink. The approved rehabilitation retained the historic fabric of the corridors and removed the guest room partitions to create one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. The plan of these apartments vary to conform with the corridor plan and the exterior fenestration, but each retains or replicates the simple historic floor, wall and woodwork treatments, complimenting the historic features of the corridors and sustaining the integrity of the entire building."

Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared by Peter J. Adams, January 20, 1990. A link to the document is listed below in the "Sources" category.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1990
Reference number
90001457
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Mission/Spanish Revival; Other architectural type; Mediterranean Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Hotel
Current functions
Multiple dwelling; Restaurant
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1921; 1923

Update Log 

  • August 14, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources