The Albany Town House is one of only three historic public buildings in Albany Township, Maine. It was built in 1848 by the residents of Albany for use as a polling place, town meeting site, and the location of governmental activities. Architecturally, it is a vernacular structure with just a nod towards the Greek Revival style. This building served the Town of Albany until the municipality’s charter was forfeited to the State of Maine in 1937, and the town became an un-organized territory under State administration. In 1947 the building was purchased by the Albany Improvement Association, and since then it has continued to provide the community with a meeting and gathering space, as well as serving as the only polling venue in town. Importantly, this building is the only extant, local reminder of the community’s existence as the Town of Albany between 1803 and 1937. The Albany Town House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A, for its role in the political, governmental, and social history of the Town of Albany.